intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:55 am

I mentioned on a different post in late July that Bil Herd had co-authored a brand new book about his experiences at Commodore and specifically the creation of the C128 home computer and the "TED" series of computers.

IMG_5513.jpg

I finally finished reading it today, and like most good things was a little bit sad when the ride was over.

If you haven't picked it up and consider yourself a Commodore fanatic (if you're reading this post I would imagine that includes you) I highly recommend this book. It is written in a very friendly and casual style as if Mr. Herd were talking shop about the old days over a beer down at the corner bar, or your neighborhood Commodore club.

Even though it is written by a very talented engineer, you don't have to be one to enjoy this book and the stories he shares.

Back into the Storm is organized chronologically from the time Herd was hired at Commodore to the time he left the company. Herd chronicles the swan song of the 8-bit era as he describes the C128's chaotic birth. Fun fact: the C128 was the last 8-bit computer to be sold to the public in millions of units, and this during a time when the Amiga was also being introduced to the world and 16-bit machines were on the rise.

IMG_5514.jpg
There are several photos included in the pages of the book. Some were taken by Mr. Herd, some by other Commodore Illuminati, and some from Commodore friends near and far.

If you haven't picked this book up yet, I'd say it would be a good casual read for many here as we approach the holiday season.

IMG_5518.JPG
If you own a C128, or have VICE, you can reveal this Easter Egg by typing, "SYS 32800, 123, 45,6" and pressing "Return."

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:21 pm

… it even says „hErdware“ !!

Fantastic, thanks for the review. Imagine going without any shirt to a business event these days 😆

Return to “The Lounge”