intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:38 am

I found this beautiful piece on an art disk a few years ago and have held onto the photo I took of my screen back then. In the art world, it's probably akin to a cheap painting found over some flea-bitten bed in a motel room off route 99. But I'm always captivated by it. It looks so... real. What I mean is when I look at it, I am completely transported to this place. It looks like it could be just an hour's drive east, or west, of where I live. It reminds me of some snow filled meadows that I've walked through in recent years with icy creeks bubbling by.

I don't even know who created this image. But I really like it. Whoever did it really understood the basics of landscape art and how art can be impactful. From a Japanese Sumi-e attitude, making the focal point small and overwhelmed by nature is just so spot on. I also love how it makes my eyes dance all over the image yet everything leads back to the 3 does. For such a peaceful image it makes my eyes and mind move.

And to see it in (iirc) 16 colors I find the whole thing very inspiring. I need to remind myself where that disk is again...

You know nothing, Jon Snow. ;)
winterscene.jpg

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:58 am

That's a very stylish artwork. Hard to believe it's just 16 colors. :)

Speaking of winter: Gee, we had some snowfall last night here in southern Germany. Winter is comming... ;)

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:13 pm

Great photo. Another example of how a CRT gave the appearance of more detail. The aperture grill gives texture while the phosphor give an organic roundness and glow.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:22 pm

@fxgogo this is one of my slow-trombones about the 10marc amiga art contest reveals each year. And look, I totally get it. If you're going to show everything in real time on a screen, a CRT isn't going to cut it unless you're 1) really extravagant, and 2) really eccentric.

But d a m n . . . Most of the art pieces submitted would look SO much better if shown like the photo above, rather than spit out in pure chunky LCD-land, which is what has to be done for technical practicalities.

But, yeah. Seeing it as it was originally meant to be seen is a really big deal to me, and one of the key reasons I made this site going on ... shoot, 5 years ago now? Wow.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:07 pm

intric8 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:22 pm
But, yeah. Seeing it as it was originally meant to be seen is a really big deal to me, and one of the key reasons I made this site going on ... shoot, 5 years ago now? Wow.
Well, I think we need to com up with a plan. I have been messing around of and on with an accurate emulation of an CRT for a few years now. I may have posted some examples here before. Maybe we can all work together to setup a process that will process the images into facsimiles of the real thing. Not perfect, but good for video streaming.

Return to “The Lounge”