Crispy
Sunhillow

Posted Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:26 pm

https://rog.asus.com/us/monitors/below- ... hpe-model/

This is near perfect for the Amiga. The panel is true 24 bit IPS, and has very, very good color accuracy. It also has a 1:1 setting, and that allows me to use my video switcher instead of the monitor to do the scaling. With the scaler set to capture the Amiga video as 1380 x 224, and output as 1380 x 1036 in a 1400 x 1050 VESA format, the image size is just about 13.5 inches diagonal. This is virtually the same size as on a 1080 monitor, and it looks great, especially in interlaced where my scaler deinterlaces the image for flicker free bliss.
Monitor.jpg

Of course I can also use it as a secondary monitor for my modern hardware, which is what it was designed for.

If there's one flaw, it's in the connector placement. The connectors are on the left side instead of on the back, and that makes cable routing a pain. Looks like I'll have to invest in some right angle cables.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:32 pm

I love it! I am currently trying to find a solution for my Amigas as my 1084 and PVM take up a lot of space and the 1084 is my original and it has a lot of hours on it. It would be nice if I could setup my Sony PVM on a cart with some of my consoles. What I have been using is a Commodore VGA adapter that plugs into the Amiga and then to an NEC MultiSync LCD1970NX which supports all the modes natively. But it requires some fussing and sometimes the picture is not that great.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:48 am

Reading the specs in the link that you provided raises a question for me.

How do you connect the monitor to the Amiga?

Crispy
Sunhillow

Posted Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:54 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:48 am
How do you connect the monitor to the Amiga?
I'm using a video switcher/scaler, but a good RGB to HDMI converter will also work. For best results though, you really want something that gives you complete control over the analog input video sampling, and the digital output video size.

I'm currently using a Barco DCS-100, but I've been thinking lately about designing my own purpose built Amiga RGB to HDMI scaler.

Return to “The Lounge”