austin90

Posted Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:56 pm

Hey everyone! First of all, it has been a great experience on this forum, I've learned a lot these past few months. Sorry that this isn't strictly Retro gaming-related but I'm running out of options so I thought might as well try my luck!

I'm sorry if this is being posted on the wrong subforum, I'm still kinda new to this :) Getting into it, the title says it all really, I've been looking into buying one of the current-gen consoles for my nephew whose birthday is coming up (he's turning 13) and unlike me, he's into the newer stuff. The answer I'm sure all of you are thinking is "just get him a ps5" Well, I don't have that kind of money right now or I'd buy myself a vintage game cartridge or something LOL! Now I'm quite a simpleton so obviously, the first thing I did was google it. To give you an idea of the ones I saw, here's one of the pages I visited. However, I'm hoping to get an expert opinion on the matter, If you guys gave any good recommendations and maybe some Pros and Cons that would be really helpful!

Thanks in advance!

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:05 am

Hey there!

Now that the PS5 is available (more or less), the price of the PS4 and PS4 Pro has dropped to a quite attractive level imho. I have no idea about the availability and prices of other consoles though. I own a PS4 Pro myself and I have recently bought another one for my niece's birthday. I think the Pro's processing power ist high enough to handle current-gen title and there are a lot of titles available.

That's my 2 cent...

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:29 pm

Well if you are talking current gen then that leaves you with PS4, PS5 and Xbox. It is very hard to get PS5s and Xbox Series X still but my first thought is always Playstation. So in this case, just get a PS5 is the answer. That said a PS4 is still very relevant and many of the games are releasing for both. I am guessing most have a PS4 by now but it is hard to beat even if it is beginning to be replaced.

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:04 pm

I still own an Atari 7800. our household still has a Wii.

That’s it 😊.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:17 pm

Unless there is a Last of Us Part III, I won’t be getting a current gen console, I am planning a new computer though. Does that count?

Hook
Ottawa, Canada

Posted Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:54 am

I've had the PS5 for almost a year now, it's great, but then again I am biased and a self-confessed Sony fanboy. I don't have a ton of games in my library yet, but very much enjoy it.

In a nutshell, I've got Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Watch Dogs Legion. Saving my pennies to buy Horizon Forbidden West which looks absolutely stunning.

austin90

Posted Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:22 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:04 pm
I still own an Atari 7800. our household still has a Wii.

That’s it 😊.
I wholeheartedly respect that! :D

austin90

Posted Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:26 am

Update: So my nephew's birthday went by and I ended up getting him a PS4 Slim 500GB with a 1 Year PsPlus subscription and a physical copy of Marvel's Spiderman and Minecraft. Guess who's the favorite uncle now. 8-)

Edit: This is the exact one I ended up getting.
Last edited by austin90 on Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hans

Posted Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:11 am

I built myself a powerful and cool looking gaming PC, why would I waste money on a video gaming console that will be outdated in 4 years? Anyway, I own the best selling and most popular gaming console of all time, the Sony Playstation 2. There are thousands of games for the system, games like: Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 and 2, Champions of Norrath, Champions Return to Arms, Darkwatch, Fallout Brotherhood of Steel, Metal Slug 4 and 5, Red Faction 1 and 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Serious Sam Next Encounter, and many more exciting PS2 games.

austin90

Posted Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:35 am

Hans wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:11 am
I built myself a powerful and cool looking gaming PC, why would I waste money on a video gaming console that will be outdated in 4 years? Anyway, I own the best selling and most popular gaming console of all time, the Sony Playstation 2. There are thousands of games for the system, games like: Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 and 2, Champions of Norrath, Champions Return to Arms, Darkwatch, Fallout Brotherhood of Steel, Metal Slug 4 and 5, Red Faction 1 and 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Serious Sam Next Encounter, and many more exciting PS2 games.
I totally get it, I sound old when I say this but the kids really want that next-gen, photorealistic graphics type game. A PS2 is good to me and you but to the newer generation? they can't bear to look at it :lol:

Return to “The Lounge”