Lonnie

Posted Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:05 pm

My setup: Amiga500, 1MB memory upgrade, Internal Gotek, one CA-880 external drive
My question: Is it even possible to copy a real floppy to a disk image on the Gotek using Amiga Workbench, or any copy program?
Hi all, I'm still new to the Amiga scene, and I've come to my wits end trying to figure out what it is I'm doing (or not doing) to make this seemingly simple procedure NOT work. Every time I try to copy a file from my physical drive to a disk image on my internal Gotek, I get some kind of verify error and the procedure is abandoned. I am using standard DD 880KB images, some from the WinUAE emulator, some from other sources. I took some advice and tried with several blank .hfe images, but got the same results. Even formatting images within Workbench is hit and miss, sometimes it works, sometimes after formatting the initializing will fail and I get a 'No DOS on disk error', and the procedure is cancelled. I tried with X-Copy and with verify on I get errors (red zeros or sixes) and a corrupted destination disk. Verify off gives all green zeros like normal, but again a corrupted disk, or nothing at all on the disk! I haven't tried any other copy programs, I don't think the problem lies there. The only time that I've ever been able to successfully save information to a disk image on the Gotek is when I save my Amiga Basic program listings, and then I'm able to retrieve them intact. Is this normal for the Amiga? Perhaps someone here knows a trick or two that can get this to work. My apologies for the long post, but I've recently come into quite a few Amiga floppy disks that I want to archive and put on a SD card. There are thousands of .adf files on the internet, so there must be a way for this to work. As always, any input at all is appreciated.
Thank you for listening to me rant. 🙂

dalek
Australia

Posted Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:51 am

No, something is not right - it should work fine. If you can't even format a disk then perhaps you have a hardware (CIA or less likely Paula chip) issue.

There are a few things you can do to work out what is going on:
- update to the latest version of flashfloppy
- check your ff.cfg is correct for amiga operation and your gotek is jumpered as DS0
- try your gotek in a different amiga
- try formatting an image file in your amiga with the external drive disconnected
- try cleaning the legs of and reseating both CIA chips and Paula
- try swapping both CIA chips around and see if you get a new problem

That being said, for what you want to do you might find it much easier to get a newish known good working PC floppy drive and a Greaseweazle and save off the floppy images to your PC.

Or, you could use tsgui to save directly from your external drive to .adf format on the amiga.

... but it sounds like something is bung with your gotek / A500.

Return to “The Lounge”