intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:39 pm

I thought I might start a fun topic today about how Commodore and Amiga (and other retro machines and topics) work their way into our daily thoughts and lives around here.

I'll start.

Today I was at my neighborhood gas station filling up my car when I saw a crudely drawn Porsche on the monochrome monitor of the gas pump. First thought that enters my mind? "Boy, these guys would have been much better off having Jim Sachs draw them a sweet Porsche with Deluxe Paint or Brilliance in 2017 rather than that crap."

Back in the mid-eighties, the legendary designer of Defender of the Crown had also done a fabulous series of illustrations of Porsches. Kind of nuts that's what came to my mind at the gas station. You know you might be obsessed when...
Attachments
gasPump.jpg

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:30 pm

I think of the Amiga whenever I hear a computerized voice... Which is almost everyday via someone else's smart phone (I don't do smart phones and I hope I never will). Now, these days most companies like to take the voice of an actual human and manipulate it to do the text to voice stuff... But it makes no difference to me, I can always tell the voice is being messed with, and in that case it will always have a resemblance to the Amiga's voice. That's the voice I think of with them all... Not the War Games voice, the Amiga's.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Oof - I do love the War Games computer voice, too. I've always thought it was a digitized version of the professor's. Would be cool to know how they did that.

You've inspired me, Shot. I think I'll rename one of my Alexa's as Amiga! That'll be so cool.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Since I don't think any of my neighbors are looking, and they'd still need the password... My home network (which I have hidden) is called Amiga. :D

I think you're right, they just messed with Falkin's voice to do the computer voice for War Games. A lot of people seem to go for that one, and indeed, I love that one too... But even when I hear that I think of the Amiga.

Gumby was a show I'd watch and always think of the Amiga. Love that stop motion photography... Here's a clip of the Amiga getting used. - It's the Amiga's "robot" voice - Believe it or not, the normal Amiga voice we're used to is the "human" Amiga voice. haha.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:02 pm

You've inspired me, Shot. I think I'll rename one of my Alexa's as Amiga! That'll be so cool.
Well, this is lame. I can only pick from 3 different preassigned names. I can't create a custom "wake word". Too bad, I tried.

I did switch the one in my room to "Computer" though, so I can talk to it like Captain Picard whenever I need to. :)

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:42 pm

I prefer this one :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9kTVZiJ3Uc

"Hello computer."

Return to “The Lounge”