intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:49 am

I've had this issue for a while now. And of course it's the 1991 games issue as you can easily glean from the cover. Each year Amiga World would do a "best of" round-up - right before the holidays, naturally. And I just love this cover with Lemmings crawling all over it (and on top of a monitor showing a scene from Wings, no less!).
IMG_7210.jpg
Here's a PDF of the same issue, thanks to our friends over at archive.org.

Here was their top 10 "All Stars" for the year:

10) Eye of the Beholder (SSI, USA)
9) Dungeon Master 2: Chaos Strikes Back (FTL, USA)
8) Ishido: The Way of the Stones (Accolade, USA)
7) Awesome (Psygnosis, UK)
6) The Killing Game Show (Psygnosis, UK)
5) Prince of Persia (Broderbund, USA)
4) Powermonger (Bullfrog/Electronic Arts, UK)
3) Indianapolis 500 (Electronic Arts, USA)
2) Wings (Cinemaware, USA)
1) Lemmings (Psygnosis, UK)

Really awesome, awesome list. And such a great mag. A million years ago I worked for the same publishing company - IDG - that created Amiga World. It was a great company with solid content teams. I worked for InfoWorld - the "C-level" tech mag. A floor below us in San Francisco was the MacWorld team. And a floor below that the mighty PC World. Great place, great people.
page32nov1989aw.jpg
Some of the best damned games ever.

Lastly with this particular magazine, take a look at the address label. The person who received this mag actually worked at Dow Jones in Washington D.C. and had it sent to his/her office. I don't know why, but I just love that Amiga World adorned the offices of Dow Jones for a time in 1991/1992. It does appear to have arrived a bit late (May 1992).
IMG_7211.jpg
When I worked in the magazine industry, the editorial calendar was alway determined 2-3 months in advance, sometimes much further out. In other words, if it was November and you received the November issue, that content had often been written several weeks (1-2 months) before you got it. This was done mainly for printing logistics as well as how to plan out advertising campaigns. Yep, advertising would control content direction and focus sometimes (a lot of times). Sometimes companies would feed the content teams sneak peeks based on a roll-out schedule of their own. A lot of times it just worked. This issue, though, seems to have arrived far later than it ever should have. Wonder what was going on there...?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:51 pm

On second thought, I wonder if the original owner of this magazine ordered the magazine as a back-fill or new subscription...

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:52 pm

I had most issues of Amiga World and Amazing Computing from about '87 to '93, but about three years ago we had a huge rain, and the plastic container they were in in storage was open a bit. Almost all of them soaked, moldy and ruined. I still waited days to throw them out because I was so upset. Now I bet I am down to 15 or 20 issues left.
I would read and re-read them over and over.

grshaw

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:47 am

Looks like a great issue.

You guys may already be aware of this but Bombjack has all of the archive of Amiga World digitised.

http://www.bombjack.org/amiga/magazines ... -world.htm

Funnily enough I am currently reading my way through Amiga World. I am currently on Mar / Apr 87. This is the issue where they Amiga 2000 is reviewed. Happy Times.

BITD I was an Amiga Format reader and I must admit that I prefer the writing style in Amiga World. Previously I read my way through all of the Amiga Formats on Bombjack. It’s fascinating to compare the coverage that the Amiga got on both sides of the Atlantic. Even comparing the dates of issue 1 is informative. Issue 1 of Amiga World is Sep / Oct 85. Issue 1 of ( ST ) Amiga Format is Jul 88. Nearly three years later.

Thanks to Bombjack for digitising all these. I have enjoyed reading all these a great deal.

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:48 am

Thanks for that link! I did not know that existed.

Return to “The Lounge”