intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:11 am

I ran across this fascinating bit of AmigaOS history. It doesn't belong behind gated social media accounts - this kind of gem should be common knowledge amongst Amigans.

The Challenger disaster was a major deal in the US back in 1986. It was something many of us remember where we were at the time it happened. It was made all the more tragic as a teacher was on board - her kids all witnessing the explosion of her space shuttle.

In any case, in a quiet and subtle tribute, Commodore software developer Eric Cotton drew the clock icon in AmigaOS and placed the hands at the precise time of the Challenger's demise.

What an awesome hidden treasure.
DyTPpkqVsAAn19F.jpg

A10001986

Posted Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:50 am

It's probably a little known fact because it looks like 11:36, at least to me... :D

DarkN3mo

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:00 am

intric8 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:11 am
I ran across this fascinating bit of AmigaOS history. It doesn't belong behind gated social media accounts - this kind of gem should be common knowledge amongst Amigans.

The Challenger disaster was a major deal in the US back in 1986. It was something many of us remember where we were at the time it happened. It was made all the more tragic as a teacher was on board - her kids all witnessing the explosion of her space shuttle.

In any case, in a quiet and subtle tribute, Commodore software developer Eric Cotton drew the clock icon in AmigaOS and placed the hands at the precise time of the Challenger's demise.

What an awesome hidden treasure.DyTPpkqVsAAn19F.jpg

The real time of the explosion is 11:39.

Return to “The Lounge”