SPiFF

Posted Mon May 31, 2021 12:13 pm

I have a strange issue with my A1000. It corrupts floppies. Always in the same place.
A1000-corrupt_floppy_xcopy.jpeg

If I write protect the disk, everything is fine. If I put a write enable disk in, it will corrupt. Even if the drive is only reading. I am using a Parceiro, so the machine is quite usable. The damage is not permanent. I can just re-write the disk and it is fine. However, I would like to see if I can fix this. Considering drives are pretty hard to come by these days, I wanted to get some opinions on what might be causing this before I go down that path. TIA!

A10001986

Posted Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:18 am

The floppy drive probably needs a thorough cleaning and perhaps a re-adjustment.

PS: I noticed on the display of my floppy emulators that 1.3 writes to floppies on a regular basis (eg just when inserting one), no idea why (validator?), and never noticed over the run of 35+ years.

Are you running 1.3?

SPiFF

Posted Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:40 am

A10001986 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:18 am
Are you running 1.3?
Hmmm, yes, I am. I only noticed this when I got the Parceiro and started running 1.3. I really wasn't using the A1000 much before getting the Parceiro and I only had 1.2 WB/KS disks with it.

I did clean the drive. I don't know how to adjust it. Will have to look into it. However, I would have thought if there was something mechanical it would have also affected reads.

Return to “Hardware”