luvwagn

Posted Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:52 pm

Just for completeness, but not sure if required - A20 is available from Pin 15 of U28 on the Rejuvenator. I wasn't sure if the 2MB jumper was for that or for other logic to the DRAM bank (since it goes from the 256k x 4 DIPs to the 1M x 4 DIPs or SOJs in every 2nd slot).

Well, it isn't confidence I lack - more like good eyesight and a steady hand ;)

m0c
Utrecht, Netherlands

Posted Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:29 pm

I will be turning 58 on Friday and I can't see sh*t anymore without reading glasses... I just think of my physical flaws as part of the challenge ;) Over the past few years, I've built several GBA1000 boards, all with 68060 turbo card and GBAPII++ RTG graphics board. To me, the Rejuvenator is merely a little side project, in honour of the late Greg Tibbs and the entire team who made the re-release possible.

[brag]
[/brag]

luvwagn

Posted Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:10 pm

Man, that is clean. Ever consider building again? :)

I should learn more about that solution, looks clean and sexay.

m0c
Utrecht, Netherlands

Posted Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:21 pm

I did some serious testing with my 2MB Rejuvenator, thereby leaving it on overnight for nearly 15 hours. Rock solid :thumbsup:

I am however slightly concerned about the Agnus chip fitting rather loosely in its PLCC socket, so I am thinking of replacing the socket. An improperly inserted Agnus can give you all kinds of erratic behaviour on power up, varying from black, white, grey, yellow or green screens to fading or garbled images and spontaneous lockups.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:22 pm

@m0c

a good friend of mine that worked for ATI for a few decades told me the first thing he did on any board he worked on was to get rid of all the sockets & when I asked why he said because eventually they all cause problems.

luvwagn

Posted Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:45 am

m0c wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:21 pm
I did some serious testing with my 2MB Rejuvenator, thereby leaving it on overnight for nearly 15 hours. Rock solid :thumbsup:

I am however slightly concerned about the Agnus chip fitting rather loosely in its PLCC socket, so I am thinking of replacing the socket. An improperly inserted Agnus can give you all kinds of erratic behaviour on power up, varying from black, white, grey, yellow or green screens to fading or garbled images and spontaneous lockups.
Curious what the best long running stress test might be, beyond memory tests and other things in DiagROM perhaps. Spin up lightwave 3d or something that works without an FPU, and let it churn away overnight?

m0c
Utrecht, Netherlands

Posted Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:23 am

luvwagn wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:22 pm
Going to start soldering this weekend.
Any news? We are all curious!

I will be testing my Parceiro II on the Rejuvenator soon. Does anyone know if physically removing the Kickstart ROM and the RTC is actually necessary? Shouldn't applying jumper J100 be enough?

luvwagn

Posted Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:57 am

Just email David, he's the boss

m0c
Utrecht, Netherlands

Posted Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:02 pm

I enjoyed a near instant reply from David, within the hour!

On the Rejuvenator, the KS ROM must be removed, but jumper J100 should remain open, meaning "use the ROM". This tells the Rejuvenator to NOT attempt to load from floppy. The ROM to be used will be the Parceiro's ROM. The RTC chip can be removed without any issue.

luvwagn

Posted Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:25 pm

if you built rejuvenator with RTC chip and you no longer need it, i'd be interested

Return to “Hardware”