BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Tue May 21, 2019 7:50 pm

So in digging around in the chips in my A1000 with its very early mobo revision, I realised it has the 8362 R5 Denise, which has no EHB. Apparently my A1K is "pre-OCS".. I didnt even know there was a "pre-OCS". :? I guess that makes it Daphne and not Denise! Thats pretty cool.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue May 21, 2019 9:38 pm

According to BBoAH, that would be correct!

A10001986

Posted Wed May 22, 2019 7:19 am

The R5-Denise was always called Denise, not Daphne. I don't think any Daphne-machines ever hit the market, but a lot of R5-Denises were sold. I had one of those in early 1986.

What is written at BBoAH is wrong. Daphne was the development name, before mass production. R5 was mass-produced.

BBoAH is wrong in several places. Eg, they also state that there were A1000s without the signatures in the upper case, which is also wrong. All mass-produced A1000s had that (PAL and NTSC).

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 22, 2019 9:00 am

I've wondered about that, A10001986. I've noticed a few things and had communications with them. To be fair it's a two-man-show as far as I can tell (Steen + Robert Miranda), which is a lot to manage. But I do wish it was (sometimes) Wikipedia-style, where edits could be more easily suggested.

I should ping Robert since he has editing capabilities and see what the best process might be for issues like this when they are identified.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 22, 2019 10:00 am

Robert Miranda has officially been notified of this detail. :)

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Wed May 22, 2019 11:20 am

It was neat to think it was Daphne while it lasted :) I guess OCS was not fully formalised before Denise went into production or it was affected by a bug making it inoperable.

I note BBOAH also state
Also, some 8362 R5 chips (in developer/demo machines only), the HAM mode may not have been tested.
Which is an odd statement, as it does not outright say "HAM mode does not work" or that, but implies that chips may have been cherry picked or that it does not work on some R5's...

one could read a few things into that statement...

A10001986

Posted Wed May 22, 2019 1:18 pm

I have several (read about 5 or 6) R5 Denises here, none of which show any issue with HAM mode. Those all were in early A1000s used for playing Mindwalker for a number of sleepless nights ;)

Return to “Hardware”