RizThomas
Surrey, BC, Canada

Posted Tue May 28, 2019 9:57 pm

Hello. I have this nagging question for a long time now about my Kipper’s A508 board. I got this from him plus 2-CPU relocator boards for both systems. I have seen articles about how to install it on the A500 but none ( or slight mentions) of being installed on the A1000. I know both needs to have at least >kickstart 2.0 ( probably upgrade to KS3.1). I am intrigue to install it on the A1000 together with KS switcher aforementioned here in the forum. Any comment is much appreciated. Thanks

Bulletdust

Posted Tue May 28, 2019 10:53 pm

I'm pretty sure someone on the OCAU (Overclockers Australia) retro forums I moderate has done it. The problem is the CPU is under the floppy, meaning the board won't physically fit in the CPU socket.

I believe there is an adapter that you plug into the CPU socket that offsets the socket so you can then plug the Kipper A508 in without fouling it on the floppy drive.

RizThomas
Surrey, BC, Canada

Posted Wed May 29, 2019 6:38 am

I have the CPU relocator....in fact the KIckstart switcher project (posted here) too is pretty much a relocator too. Thanks for sharing your forum...I will try to lurk there and see any post about it if there is one. I have been googling about Kippers/A1000 but without success.

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Wed May 29, 2019 4:43 pm

You should be fine with the locator on this forum. You need at least Kickstart 2.05 for the built-in IDE to work on the Kipper board.

Beska

Posted Thu May 30, 2019 11:20 am

I've installed a couple of these into A1000s, they work great.

RizThomas
Surrey, BC, Canada

Posted Thu May 30, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks Beska for the reply:
I've installed a couple of these into A1000s, they work great.
The only one that I am not sure about are the 2 wires to connect on the expansion of the A1000. I know the layout is different from that of the A500. Would you be able to share a pic of how you did it...if it is not an inconvenience...Thanks.

Beska

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:28 am

Finally got around to opening my A1000.

Here is my A508 installed
IMG_2036.JPG
And here is a close up of the header
IMG_2037.JPG

RizThomas
Surrey, BC, Canada

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks for taking the time to take pictures...it surely gives me the confidence to proceed and do mine too!

RizThomas
Surrey, BC, Canada

Posted Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:47 pm

I finally got my A508 installed on my A1000 ..thanks to Beska for providing the pictures (above) as my guide. However, the fact that I also use EzdineG’s kickstart switcher, it took me at least three (3) tiers of 64 pin sockets to clear from the floppy drive...even with the cpu relocators provided.
With 3.1, it was able to see my CF. Now I need to create a bootable CF. I wonder how can I start from? Create it using WinUAE and with A1000 (basic config). Any pointers or tip is much appreciated...

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:30 am

Hi,

you might be better off with an A600 config as it already has the required scsi.device and the technically similar onboard ide (despite using scsi.device ;) ).

The trick then is to tell WinUAE to use the complete device, meaning the CF card, as a hdd.

Don’t let windows get access to the cf by formatting it or such.

From there on it’s a standard 3.1 install with the usual floppy set.

Return to “Hardware”