8bitSheep
Scotland

Posted Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:11 am

Hello all,

Interesting discussion on the test ROM, sounds like something I will need to investigate.

For my A600, my colleague had some time to look at it and to try some reflowing. He said one CIA had perfect connections (as far as he could tell under the microscope) and so he left that one alone. The other CIA did have some bad/cracked connections and so he reflowed what he could (one side of the chip is very close to another component and not easy to get to). Unfortunately this does not seem to have had any effect on my serial problem. I think I may now also now have a floppy drive problem but I am still checking that I did not make a mistake reconnecting everything.

While he was looking at the board my colleague also noticed some scorch marks especially under U-29 (whatever that component is). I assume that is not normal :lol:

This has gotten well beyond anything I or my colleague is able to do so I am now trying to find someone offering Amiga repair services. There seems to be someone on English Amiga Board that is not too far from me so I will reach out to them and see if it is something they will take a look at.

Hopefully it can be repaired otherwise my Amiga journey might be over for now.

Thanks for the help and information.

8bitSheep

8bitSheep
Scotland

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:14 am

Hi all,

Thought I would follow up with the good news, my A600 serial port is working again. Thanks to Daedalus over at English Amiga Board, he was able to diagnose the problem and replace the offending chip (the chip markings are MC1489D, XAA228 in case anyone is interested).

So happy to have my working Amiga back.

8bitSheep

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:53 am

@8bitSheep congrats on getting your old girl back into the game! That's fan-freaking-tastic.

8bitSheep
Scotland

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:29 pm

@intric8 thanks!

Another thing that was awesome, it turned out it was more convenient to hand over my Amiga for repair by attending a meeting of the Scottish Amiga Users Group. That was the first time I had been to an Amiga users group and so it was good fun to meet the other attendees and see some other machines in action, I had never seen a big box Amiga before but there was a A4000 present as well as a whole lot of A1200s and one or two A500s. There were some awesome demos on display, a presentation on the basics on Workbench configuration and customization as well as a Sensible World of Soccer tournament. It was great fun. Now I just need to think of something interesting I can do on my 600 for the next one :mrgreen:

8bitSheep

Return to “Hardware”