m0th

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Let me preface that I'm still learning how to use my Amiga 1000 and vintage computing as a hobby.

Bought an OKI DATA Microline 320 Turbo for $20 USD yesterday.

Upon doing some research for printing from the A1000 I found this and it mentions:
If you have a serial (RS-232) printer connected via the Amiga's serial port instead of the parallel port, a similar caution applies: Pins 14, 21, and 23 on the serial port carry power supply voltages. (Refer to page 7-12 of the Introduction to Amiga manual for a pinout chart.) Since these pins are often unused in devices like modems and printers, it may be safe to use IBM-type serial printer cables. Check the manual for your printer carefully to be sure that your particular model does not make any connection to these pins. Again, a gender-changer plug will be required to attach an IBM-style cable to the Amiga serial port. It's best to check with your dealer before using a suspect cable.
The cable appears to be the one that came with the printer and it fits in the serial port of the Amiga. Might be a stupid question, but is it possible to fry my A1000 from using this printer?

dansalvato
Boise, ID

Posted Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:27 am

Yeah, I never made the mistake myself but I've always heard that mixing up the serial and parallel ports on the Amiga 1000 can result in damage to either the Amiga or the device you're plugging in. The Amiga 1000 has reversed genders on both the serial and parallel ports. So if you have a cable that fits into the Amiga serial port, it's likely a parallel cable and you're risking damage. I have two gender changers, female-to-female and male-to-male, that I just never remove from the ports. To be extra sure, the printer should also label its ports as serial or parallel, which should always go to the Amiga's corresponding port.

m0th

Posted Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:00 am

dansalvato wrote:Yeah, I never made the mistake myself but I've always heard that mixing up the serial and parallel ports on the Amiga 1000 can result in damage to either the Amiga or the device you're plugging in. The Amiga 1000 has reversed genders on both the serial and parallel ports. So if you have a cable that fits into the Amiga serial port, it's likely a parallel cable and you're risking damage. I have two gender changers, female-to-female and male-to-male, that I just never remove from the ports. To be extra sure, the printer should also label its ports as serial or parallel, which should always go to the Amiga's corresponding port.
I feel like it's almost not worth the risk... Shame too, I was hoping to see a dotmatrix print from my Amiga.

oldbull

Posted Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:03 am

Would it help to share pictures of the printer cable I used back in the day? I ran an Epson compatible 9-pin dot matrix with my A1000. I know where the printer is. The cable will need to be searched for.

m0th

Posted Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:29 pm

oldbull wrote:Would it help to share pictures of the printer cable I used back in the day? I ran an Epson compatible 9-pin dot matrix with my A1000. I know where the printer is. The cable will need to be searched for.

If you can that would be appreciated! Here's what my cable looks like

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:53 am

m0th wrote:If you can that would be appreciated! Here's what my cable looks like
That is a Centronics connector which makes that a Parallel cable. The 320/321 does have an option for an RS-232 module but it is somewhat rare. I believe they still make the microline 320/321 printers. I support a couple of dealerships that still order them new. At least they did in around 2010/2012.

If your printer has the connector that plugs into it then it is most definitely parallel. I had a friend with an A1000 way back when and he used an OKI printer with his so it should work fine. However, I think he had an adapter that changed some pins around so that he could plug in a standard printer cable. If you are handy with a soldering iron you could probably easily make your own out of some DB25 connectors and some wire.

Here is a link that might help

m0th

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:44 am

Zippy Zapp wrote:
m0th wrote:If you can that would be appreciated! Here's what my cable looks like
That is a Centronics connector which makes that a Parallel cable. The 320/321 does have an option for an RS-232 module but it is somewhat rare. I believe they still make the microline 320/321 printers. I support a couple of dealerships that still order them new. At least they did in around 2010/2012.

If your printer has the connector that plugs into it then it is most definitely parallel. I had a friend with an A1000 way back when and he used an OKI printer with his so it should work fine. However, I think he had an adapter that changed some pins around so that he could plug in a standard printer cable. If you are handy with a soldering iron you could probably easily make your own out of some DB25 connectors and some wire.

Here is a link that might help
Thanks for the lead! Looking at some photos for reference the cable appears to be parallel and fits the serial port perfectly. I'll do some more research before I take the leap since I can't risk damaging my Amiga.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:46 pm

m0th wrote: Thanks for the lead! Looking at some photos for reference the cable appears to be parallel and fits the serial port perfectly. I'll do some more research before I take the leap since I can't risk damaging my Amiga.
Yeah, it fits the serial port because on the Amiga 1000 the parallel and serial ports have reverse genders then what is the standard for serial and parallel. The one you want to plug that into is the parallel port not the serial port. I would not plug it into the serial port, even though it fits, as you may fry something in the Amiga. You really need a proper adapter or gender changer with some modifications.

oldbull

Posted Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:18 pm

I didn't forget, but my garage is detached from the house and I don't need to open the garage every day. It sounds like the issue has been handled.

I just now checked the cable from my old PC inkjet and it's got Centronics on one end and pins on the other (same as yours). You're going to need an adapter or an Amiga-specific cable.

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:35 pm

I believe, you can also still buy the TurboPrint driver system for Amiga 68k!

Return to “Hardware”