intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:13 pm

That black / red color combo is super slick. Did you order black keycaps way back whenever the last campaign kicked off?

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:26 pm

intric8 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:13 pm
That black / red color combo is super slick. Did you order black keycaps way back whenever the last campaign kicked off?
No, I did not. I bought this case from AOTL when the actual production version was sent to retailers, as I just don't trust crowdfunding. Seeing how things have gone with keycaps and the A500 case campaigns, I am glad I did not participate. I'm also glad I didn't pre-order the Kipper2K keyboard, opting to wait until pre-orders were filled...which still hasn't happened, and it's been over 2 years now, I think. Either it's in stock for purchase, or, it doesn't get bought by me, with one notable exception being that I participated in Jim Drew's C64 Keycap campaign, feeling he was the most likely to deliver. Unfortunately, COVID-19 messed that deadline up, and updates have been sparse on this campaign for quite some time now too, so I am hoping it comes through, versus what happened with the other guy (Phase5) who failed to deliver.

If black caps don't appear soon at any of the retail outlets, I am thinking I am going to build my own keyboard, from GreyUnicorn's design files, using CherryMX keycaps and a few custom keycaps (large space bar, "big ass return" key, and Amiga keys) from one of the custom keycap shops.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:07 pm

Yeah, the crowdfunding scenes have definitely been a mixed bag no doubt about it. Like, if it's a book and they are charging some ridiculous sum, I (finally) learned that if I am willing to wait long enough I'll eventually get it for about 1/3 the Kickstarter price. Does it have the same fancy slip cover, and some die cut stickers I'd likely not ever use? Maybe not, but all the pages inside and the book cover itself will often be identical. And books are mainly for reading, not just putting on a table somewhere to admire from across the room.

It's kinda ridiculous. Computer games, card games, board games, music, etc. so often than not follows the same path.
If black caps don't appear soon at any of the retail outlets, I am thinking I am going to build my own keyboard, from GreyUnicorn's design files
There's one other spendy option. You might snag a CDTV keyboard some day. Ya never know!

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:18 pm

intric8 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:07 pm

There's one other spendy option. You might snag a CDTV keyboard some day. Ya never know!
Actually, I have one of those...but I could never bring myself to dismantle it, as I bought it as NOS from a German friend of mine a few years ago, for what I would think was a bargain price, considering what they go for when they do appear on fleabay or the other board that ends with -bay.

It is being used, via a string of converters, on my self-built A4KT, which is fitted into a black E-ATX case.

Return to “Hardware”