frootloop69

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:58 am

Finally got around to sorting out an enclosure for my ACA500+. Took inspiration from the mod I saw on the forums here.
I positioned the side cuts so that the enclosure doesn't block the joystick port. No rear cuts - tried to minimize any cutting of the 1010 enclosure. So far, its working great, and I like keeping the original look!
FYI, the ACA500+ is working perfectly on my A1000, and another one I tried it out on.
I had some trouble initially, but after cleaning the edge connector thoroughly with IPA and an ear bud, I haven't had a hiccup. Its amazing how much dirt came off those things, even when it looked clean!

There's enough room to comfortably use both joystick ports. Does not look that way in the first pic, as the front cover of the enclosure is leaning forward at an angle:
c1.jpg

You can see the amount of room here:
c2.jpg
c5.jpg
c6.jpg

All closed up, it looks stock :) :
c4.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 am

I just love this mod. It looks so perfect.
No rear cuts - tried to minimize any cutting of the 1010 enclosure.

What did you use to cut the top shell of the 1010? I have a donor candidate for this, but until I find a way to create a clean edge, I've been holding off.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:09 am

We gotta get you an original L-bracket tank to keep that camouflage effect going!

frootloop69

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:11 am

intric8 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 am
I just love this mod. It looks so perfect.
No rear cuts - tried to minimize any cutting of the 1010 enclosure.

What did you use to cut the top shell of the 1010? I have a donor candidate for this, but until I find a way to create a clean edge, I've been holding off.
I used a Dremel tool, with a diamond disc cutter. Had to play a little with the speeds so it doesn't melt the plastic, but got a clean enough cut eventually. I should probably file / smooth the edges when I get a chance on the weekend.
D1.jpg
D2.jpg
Last edited by frootloop69 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

frootloop69

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:26 am

intric8 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:09 am
We gotta get you an original L-bracket tank to keep that camouflage effect going!
I actually got one with the A1000. Cleaned it up and its usable now, but for daily use it drives me insane :) On my first Amiga back in the day, when I knew no better, the mouse seemed great! Now, I'll stick to the optical, and plug in the tank for photo ops :P
I was thinking of getting the laser mod for the tank - but after reading your review, and others, it seemed very expensive and didn't give the experience I wanted.
Has your take on the tank laser mod changed in the interim?

Cheers!

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:15 pm

Wow. That turned out really nice! It blends in just perfect. Now if we could just find a CF card extender and put the AUX CF card popping out the drive bay...

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:18 am

There once were CF-card extenders by SYCard. They are available every once in a while on ebay.
However, my impression is that a CF2SD copnverter with an SD card extender is a preferrable route.
CF cards are tricky - the SDs seem much more robust and suitable for the task.

frootloop69

Posted Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:32 pm

That extender idea sounds great....think I have a plan now for the next mod :)

Return to “Hardware”