intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:07 pm

When I first got my... first... Amiga 3000, I soon learned I had SCSI issues.

My daily driver system is a very early A3000 with the KS 1.4 ROM Tower. That means I can mash mouse buttons - as designed by Commodore - to decide if I want to boot into 1.3 or 2.0. The machine shipped from the factory booting into 2.0 by default but a good friend of mine showed me (reluctantly) how to make 1.3 the default boot partition, which was what I really wanted.

My world is mainly in 1.3 Land, but every so often 2.0 beckons to me. 95% of the time, though, I'm all about 1.3 and it's because it just works with what I want to do. I don't need to max things out to an Nth degree just to find out ½ the stuff I want to do broke.

And I know the 3000 is all about crazy awesome screen resolutions and it introduced 2.0 to the world. But if you run a 3000 in 1.3 like I do. Holy smokes, you guys. It noticeably blows my A2000 away speed-wise right out of the box (which in my opinion is still the most solid, compatible and expandable Amiga ever made).

But the issue I had with my 3000 from day 1 was the SCSI situation. And come to find out, even after upgrading its original buggy SCSI chip (which everyone should do if you have the option to do so) the issue I was experiencing was of my own design.

TL;DR
The SCSI in the A3000 is just fine, and some might say perfect after upgrading its chip. What I always wanted (but for the past year could never get to work ) was attaching ANY external SCSI device without causing massive problems.
IMG_0634.jpg
As of right this very second, I'm in F*ING HEAVEN. After [boring details to most] I was able to FINALLY hook up my Iomega Zip Drive to my A3000, and it worked! Not only did it work, but it saw my disk, which was last used on my A2000, exactly as it should. It even is sporting my customized ZIP drive icon.
IMG_0635.jpg
Wooo!!!

Can you guys tell I'm an Iomega Zip fan? =)
IMG_0637.jpg
I took that nearly invisible shot seen in-between the two computers after getting this all to work tonight to celebrate. It's been a YEAR, you guys. Time to Par-Tay!

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:32 am

Congratulations!!

What an achievement.
The feeling of having something not finished ... that is sitting *right* in front of you...
Glad you sorted it out!

To be honest: I am interested in that boring stuff :D .

sportbikepilot

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:26 pm

A1000 with ZIP drive? Details!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:27 pm

@sportbikepiolot, here you go. =)

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:40 pm

So....what was the problem? Improper termination?

Return to “Hardware”