Mixel

Posted Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:45 am

vfx_geek wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:41 am
Cool! I'm currently hunting for a Wacom serial tablet on ebay, unfortunately most of them are sold without the pen, or not shipping to Europe. I will definitely try making it work on FS-UAE once I have one. Perhaps I'll experiment with USB tablets in the meantime.
If you get a USB tablet to work I’d consider that pretty miraculous. :) I was never able to get any of my usb Wacoms to work, as Windows/OSX want to use them and getting the emulator to 100% take direct control, disabling it in the host system.. I couldn’t work that out. The accupoint drivers you need for dpaint are suuuuper picky too.. IMO you need to get as close to the original hardware as possible so all the Amiga software understands it.

I think the only hope you have with usb tablets is using Poseidon USB to emulate a physical USB port in your virtual Amiga, (I have no idea if UAE can emulate the hardware though!) Poseidon is made by same guy who did FormAldiHyd and supposedly includes the Wacom stuff (configured in trident prefs) or AROS, which contains the Poseidon stuff out of the box.. none of these will play nicely with the old apps though in terms of pressure support. itll maybe work in ArtEffect, maybe photogenics and PPaint though.

Mixel

Posted Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:48 am

vfx_geek wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:36 am
BTW, on my Linux PC with Intuos 5, in FS-UAE when I move the pen over the tablet the cursor in Workbench just moves out of screen. Which means FS-UAE gets input from the tablet, but probably lacks a driver to properly handle it.
This is promising but I need to test it with older tablet.
That’s probably the tablet working in Linux, and FS is just treating it like a weird mouse. I don’t think there are any drivers that bridge the two. In workbench, on a real Amiga, a tablet wouldn’t be detected and the cursor wouldn’t move at all until you load the custom drivers. :|

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:00 pm

So I was installing Opalvision and all the apps in my emulated A4000 and noticed it asks if you want Wacom drivers installed. Has anyone tried using those drivers on a real machine? I have gotten side tracked too many times to mention, but might be a way to get Wacoms working on real hardware.

Mixel

Posted Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:24 pm

fxgogo wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:00 pm
So I was installing Opalvision and all the apps in my emulated A4000 and noticed it asks if you want Wacom drivers installed. Has anyone tried using those drivers on a real machine? I have gotten side tracked too many times to mention, but might be a way to get Wacoms working on real hardware.
That’s probably a custom driver just for OpalPaint etc? Similar to how Dpaint needs the mysterious Tablet.library (it might even be the same library, haha) and how TVpaint has its Wacom support built into the app itself.

On the old apps I really don’t think anyone’s going to get usb tablets either on real amigas (because they tend to require ancient drivers) or under emulation. (Because winUAE doesn’t emulate Amiga USB interfaces)

vfx_geek
Poland

Posted Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:39 am

BTW where can I download DPaint 4.5 or newer?

Mixel

Posted Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:28 am

vfx_geek wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:39 am
Not sure if I'm supposed to link to it here, but pretty much all old Amiga software is on EAB's File Server as discussed at http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633 - versions 1-5 all seem to be there. :D

vfx_geek
Poland

Posted Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:40 am

Mixel wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:28 am
vfx_geek wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:39 am
Not sure if I'm supposed to link to it here, but pretty much all old Amiga software is on EAB's File Server as discussed at http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633 - versions 1-5 all seem to be there. :D
Perfect! Thanks very much

vfx_geek
Poland

Posted Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:55 am

So, at the last Silesian Amiga Party, I found out why the FormAldiHyd tablet driver doesn't work on my Amiga 600. It needs 020 CPU!
Stupid me, it's even written in the manul :D

Mixel

Posted Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:11 am

vfx_geek wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:55 am
So, at the last Silesian Amiga Party, I found out why the FormAldiHyd tablet driver doesn't work on my Amiga 600. It needs 020 CPU!
Stupid me, it's even written in the manul :D
ooh yeah that'd make sense, i tend to forget about the baseline hardware for stuff like this. I have no clue which drivers work when you have hardly any ram and cpu.. I'd imagine the accupoint ones do because they're absolutely ancient, but that's not going to help with the newer apps.

Maybe that's also a use for the otherwise dumb seeming Tableau Pro driver, too?

vfx_geek
Poland

Posted Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:16 am

Mixel wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:11 am
ooh yeah that'd make sense, i tend to forget about the baseline hardware for stuff like this. I have no clue which drivers work when you have hardly any ram and cpu.. I'd imagine the accupoint ones do because they're absolutely ancient, but that's not going to help with the newer apps.

Maybe that's also a use for the otherwise dumb seeming Tableau Pro driver, too?
I had no luck with the other drivers as well, as I'm using the HyperPen tablet.
Well anyway, I'm building an Amiga 1200 now, as that will give me more possibilities in terms of graphics creation. So hopefuly no tablet problems then :)

Return to “Hardware”