intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:11 pm

When you mentioned Brilliance, I had to ask The Man, Kevin Saunders, as that's his fave drawing program. He got back to me quickly.

Invent71:
Hey, oh yes I do love Brilliance but its heavily non OS compliant and very fussy with screenmodes. DPaint works better for more resolutions. I have used a tablet for Brilliance but couldn't get pressure sensitivity. Some newer drivers have been floating around the web that might work now. But im not sure where I saw that info.. Facebook/forums?

I think its the driver penpartner dated 2019
From the Aminet Read Me:
PenPartner is an application which acts as an input handler for the Wacom
tablets. It is able to emulate the mouse and may also emulate the mouse
buttons.

PenPartner was previously designed only for PenPartner tablets, and is now
a misnommed application because support for other Wacom IV style tablets
(A3, A4, A5, ArtPad) has been added.
So, that might be a good lead right there. I have Brilliance 2 but haven't even started trying to hook up my tablet yet. I'm in the midst of finishing off two other hardware projects! =)

Mixel

Posted Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:27 am

I love brilliance! I’m 99% sure It has no tablet pressure support though, nobody has ever seemed to mention it online in the lists of supported apps in driver readmes and product pages, and if there’s any pressure settings they’re obscenely well hidden. It’s still nice to draw in with a tablet though despite no pressure. :)

Its last version coming out in 94, and that being a minor update - I’d expect it to use some form of older tablet drivers like DPaint 5 does, rather than the OS friendly drivers like Formaldihyd, PenPartner and Tableau.. (which only work on Intuition 3+)

Possibly information overload but here’s a chunk of the PenPartner manual:
Amiga OS:

- system support for tablets started on WB 2.x. At that time, tablet
drivers were supposed to send informations to the input device as
events such as (X,Y) range and coordinates plus the pressure. This
method is known today as old style tablet events.

- starting from WB3.0, a new kind of tablet events has been defined
to support more tablet's features such as proximity, tilt*, etc ...
This method is known as new style tablet events.

Third party furniture:

- before WB 2.X, tablet support was made by third parties. The most
common support was a support by a library named tablet.library.

- another tablet driver can be found on Aminet, Wacom1.5, which was
also providing an API for applications.

- and as of today, H&P is providing a driver named "Tableau"
Oh, and spoilers: H&P's Tableau Pro isn't that great, haha. I had to buy it from a guy in germany to track it down. Glad I have it for completion's sake but considering it would've been >£100 new it's kind of embarrassing. Penpartner and Formaldihyd work way better for me.

* Tilt support is frustrating as not a single Amiga app supports it but a lot of nicer tablets technically do. It's frustrating knowing some of the drivers can sense it but nothing takes advantage of it at all. :(

GrafX2 on Windows/Mac/Linux is so clearly inspired by Brilliance and it's a wonderful app. (only modern OS app I know with EHB support!) - There's an Amiga version too - it's a bit older, but I'd love for someone more expert in Amiga nuts & bolts to try getting that to work.. I outright can not get GrafX2 to run on my Amiga yet - but it supports proper layers so it's a long term goal even though it's an old experimental version. Don't care about missing features if it's stable and has layers!

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:52 am

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, we are going to get a new paint package in a year or two with bell and whistles like we have never seen before.... :D

I totally agree about grafx2. I wonder if it is open source though? A quick look on the web site did not reveal anything. I think a lot of people would be keen to part of a project like that.

Mixel

Posted Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:18 pm

fxgogo wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:52 am
Ok, so if I understand you correctly, we are going to get a new paint package in a year or two with bell and whistles like we have never seen before.... :D

I totally agree about grafx2. I wonder if it is open source though? A quick look on the web site did not reveal anything. I think a lot of people would be keen to part of a project like that.
Im not sure i understand? 😅 i don't know if we’ll ever get any new art apps, all these tablet drivers are pretty old.. iThe only mentions of tilt support I've seen have been in the driver docs.. Like its a toggle-able option that does nothing. 😕 I‘d imagine our best bet is hounding them to add more functionality to PPaint and maybe ImageFX. (though they'd fit best in ArtEffect, as that's the closest thing we have to Corel Painter, and that's where tilt would make a big difference!) i doubt the handful of amiga tablet users are worth making anything completely new for? most people wanting to make amiga graphics would probably just do it non-natively now anyway. (and those that do still hold on are probably largely traditionalists who'd stick with DPaint forever, hehe, that's why i think pressure in DPaint is so exciting!)

i can't remember the exact problems i have with grafx2 now, i think it wanted me to compile a library, which is way outside my realm of expertise. ☹️ Oh, i think it was demanding RTG too, maybe? :( maybe i should try getting it running in emulation first.

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:27 am

I've submitted patches for grafx2, its opensource but they control like like a python in a strangling a chicken.

you cant submit bugs (how... open sourcelike /s ).

it was interesting, but recently they added a slew of other things like c64 modes which now require building an entire cpu emulator into the app and other stuff. i find some of its mechanisms very obtuse to use.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:50 pm

That is rather wierd. So it sounds like a small team project of love rather than an open source project. I can be scary giving away your pet project and inviting others in to mess with it.

Mixel

Posted Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:07 am

BloodyCactus wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:27 am
I've submitted patches for grafx2, its opensource but they control like like a python in a strangling a chicken.

you cant submit bugs (how... open sourcelike /s ).

it was interesting, but recently they added a slew of other things like c64 modes which now require building an entire cpu emulator into the app and other stuff. i find some of its mechanisms very obtuse to use.
That's interesting! Very strange. I guess the Amiga - and particularly classic amigas without RTG etc are so far removed from what they're targeting now we'd need our own fork with cruft removed and that'd be a pain to do upkeep for anyway.. I mean, we really don't need to be emulating other old systems on our old system if we just want to be making iff graphics for our old system with it. :lol:

I just want layers in a pixel graphics app damnit, lol. I wonder who I can harass to add them to PPaint, that's presumably our best hope.

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:50 am

I dont know if GrafX2 runs on amiga. Its a full SDL2 app designed for PCs with lots of ram :)

Mixel

Posted Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:08 pm

BloodyCactus wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:50 am
I dont know if GrafX2 runs on amiga. Its a full SDL2 app designed for PCs with lots of ram :)
There are multiple old Amiga builds on the page. :D

One for OS4, and a couple for 3.1 based classic amigas, but I think they both require RTG. And AROS ones too.

The 68k Amiga builds arent even remotely recent (7 years old) but that doesn’t really mean much when otherwise I’m often using DPaint which is prehistoric anyway. 😅

http://pulkomandy.tk/projects/GrafX2/downloads

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:17 pm

Quick question Mixel and anyone else who has done this. I am about to install my tablet on the Amiga and noticed the drivers for the Wacom only support only up to the Wacom IV, which is not my Intous (Wacom V).

Has anyone got the serial version of the Wacom Intuos working?

Return to “Hardware”