Mixel

Posted Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:13 pm

This is getting silly now but ArtEffect’s tablet support works *great* - the pressure curve is right!

Only thing holding me back is I really need more RAM, and lack of RTG means weird dithered colours - but they’re workable.. I can see myself tinkering with this at least a bit occasionally. I can get a few layers on a lowres canvas! It’s neat.

Definitely working a lot better than i’d expected considering the whole 14mhz/8MB RAM thing.
5017D4FB-D92F-45CF-8A05-37B13B8E9076.jpeg
377580E4-B0A4-4094-9A18-9424EFA96874.jpeg
Interesting how Photogenics gets around the colour shortage by allowing you to use HAM for the screen while ArtEffect does unavoidable and overly aggressive dithering even when you easily have enough colours to avoid there being dithering if it was being smart about it. Both so close to being perfect but I guess by 2000 nobody was trying serious work without RTG. 😕

Mixel

Posted Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:10 pm

To update on this.. (and thanks for helping me understand various things)

I have an ACA1233n/40 now, which helps everything run smoothly, and more importantly..

I got pressure working in DPaint! And it's great! Though I had to buy a Wacom to make it work.. I found a pristine Wacom Ultrapad A5 (for $40!) and it's incredibly nice to work with, better than some of the small Wacoms I've owned in the decades since!

I'm putting together a video about tablets and getting them working, and I've done two YouTube videos that involved drawing with tablets now. https://youtu.be/IrBNizzU0CY (about the aca1233n mostly but also some doodling with the Aiptek hyperpen 6000 - with pressure in ArtEffect) and https://youtu.be/xA5gmXGkr9Y - which is a speed draw of my entry into Amigathon 2020, in DPaint with the Aiptek, before I had the Wacom and pressure working.

I absolutely didn't think I'd get DPaint to support pressure before PPaint, but here we are. :lol:

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:01 am

Is your Wacom A5 serial based or USB? I have a really old Intuos3 A5 that I've had since ... dang, I can't even remember now. Maybe really early 2000s?

Anyway, mine is USB based. I find it fascinating DPaint supports pressure sensitivity. Do you mean with DP5?

Mixel

Posted Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:12 pm

After finding some convenient screenshots of the menus in DPaint 4.0 they must have introduced pressure/tablet support in DPaint 4.5 AGA (or another version of 4 between 4.0 and 4.5AGA that I don't own?) but there are more settings - and on my tablet it definitely works a bit better in DPaint 5.

My Ultrapad A5 is Serial.. And I have to use 1993 Accupoint drivers to get pressure it to work in DPaint.

Here's a doodle with variable pressure line width, the settings in the driver make it pretty flexible and I definitely have a bit of work to make it feel right, but it's already nice to work with.
IMG_6095.jpeg
I do wonder what'd happen if you had a rapidroad card and tried using the USB intuos.

Here's a comparison between the pressure options in 4.5 and 5. :)
IMG_6096.jpeg
4.5 doesn't do much really, I can't get translucency to work at all in either version..
IMG_6097.jpeg
5 is way nicer, and if I can figure out how to get its colour cycle pressure working I imagine it being even more handy!

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:15 pm

Caught the videos Mixel. I enjoyed them. Looking forward to the installing a tablet videos.

Mixel

Posted Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:06 pm

fxgogo wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:15 pm
Caught the videos Mixel. I enjoyed them. Looking forward to the installing a tablet videos.
Thanks! I hope to get it finished soon, I need to make myself a proper schedule, I have so many plates spinning at the moment and I’m awful at managing time.

And the video is also getting a bit broader in scope! :cry: feature creeping, so i’ve had to script it properly and it’s taking me a lot longer than expected. Should be informative though.

I’m now almost entirely certain PPaint’s pressure support is a red herring, unless it just doesn’t work in 3.1.4 or something, it does nothing and I’ve gone to quite extreme lengths to try every possible driver. :? (they all work fine in other apps) So, DPaint it is!

I wish someone could patch dpaint to have multiple undos, that’s really the main thing going for PPaint in most of my usage.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:35 am

So I am inching closer towards a working 1200 machine myself. Got my 030 accelerator working (with a memory issue remaining). A 32MB SIMM is on the way. Up next is the Wacom.

Mixel

Posted Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:29 pm

fxgogo wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:35 am
So I am inching closer towards a working 1200 machine myself. Got my 030 accelerator working (with a memory issue remaining). A 32MB SIMM is on the way. Up next is the Wacom.
Ooh, good luck! I hope it works well for you.

I realised the Poseidon USB driver and the FormAldiHyd serial tablet driver are by the same guy and in the 2000s he was talking about integrating formaldihyd’s tablet support into Poseidon, so usb Wacom tablets should probably work unless something went wrong.

I’m planning a part 2 of the tablet video that covers emulated/weird amigas too.. as he also ported Poseidon to AROS so there’s a small chance I might be able to get pressure running on my USB wacoms on a pseudo-Amiga, which is an interesting prospect to me! I haven’t been able to get pressure to behave in UAE but there’s a lot of experimenting left to try.

Mixel

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:30 pm

AAAAAAaaaAA!!

I got pressure working in PPaint and I'm not 100% sure how! So now I have to retread my steps to get to the bottom of it all.

This is great news apart from now I have to re-write part of the video I'm working on, lol.

I don't think there are any apps left for me to try! Apparently the later versions of ImageFX support pressure, but I have no idea what that'd be like in practice. Considering it's back on sale again I'll probably buy it, as I'm loving bulking out my boxed amiga art software collection. :mrgreen:

I think there's also an antique version of TV Paint that should also support Pressure, but TBH I don't even really know what that is, so have a little more research to do.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:16 pm

That is good news. Well not the rewrite. Have you tried Brilliance? I just bought a copy and it looks good, but not sure if it is tablet friendly.

Return to “Hardware”