cc3d

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:05 am

I have a GVP EGS Spectrum on my Amiga 4000. It works with a secondary LCD monitor utilizing the output on the GVP EGS card. Does anyone know how this would be configured for a single monitor solution? i.e. workbench would show up via the GVP card?

AXm77

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:57 am

If your LCD can display Amiga modes, you'll need cable with 23-pin connector (Amiga RGB) on one end and 9-pin (for Spectrum) on the other. Otherwise you need some Flicker Fixer (Indivision AGA 4000D/CD32 for example) connected to your card.

cc3d

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:03 pm

Thank you. I do have a standard Amiga RGB 23-pin connector / 9-pin. I ran that from the A4000 RGB out to the Spectrum) 9 pin IN. Then ran the VGA from the Spectrum OUT to LCD. This would not show the workbench screen on the LCD. Perhaps there is a jumper setting on the Spectrum? I need to find the spectrum manual.

AXm77

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:38 pm

Most likely your LCD can't display Workbench without FF. What is a brand and model of your LCD monitor?
By any chance do you have 23-pin to vga adapter/cable?

cc3d

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:17 pm

This one is an 8 year old Haier. I have about 10 LCDs. I need one that can do 15Hz, is that right?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:33 pm

I need one that can do 15Hz, is that right?
Yes. There are a few out there that can do both 15Hz + 31Hz. The one I use for that is the NEC Multisync 1970NX (19"). I'm not a huge fan of being off the natural resolution of an LCD as it causes some soft blurring. But the NEC monitor does a very nice job regardless.

As a general rule for big boxes the cable is buffered. For the all-in-ones, unbuffered. There's a guy on Amibay who goes by "a.mi.goun" that makes and sells brand new hand-made cables. Very high quality should you ever need one. I got one of each about 2 years ago.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:33 pm

You can use a monitor with dual inputs, or, you can, if you can find one, use a Ratte auto-monitor switch. It will automatically switch, over the same cable and monitor input (provided your monitor supports 15kHz modes), between RTG and AMIGA modes whenever a program that you execute forces it into amiga mode (like SysInfo).

EDIT: Never mind...I forgot that the Spectrum/EGS has this modality built in already via the pass through.

kneehighspy
usa

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:53 pm

i use the egs on my a3000d on a single crt monitor. i had to build a passthru cable to go from the a3000 db15 output to the 9 pin input of the egs spectrum.

Return to “Hardware”