slaine

Posted Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:56 am

I picked up the same HC533 board and I'm mostly very happy with it. However I am running into some issues with the partitioning and size issues. I'm new back to the Amiga so probably some n00b related and some KS1.3 related too.

What I found is, using the Oktagon HDInstTools, I can see the CF IDE card and I can manually partition correctly.

I have a 4GB SD card in a SD->CF Adapter in the CF->IDE adapter connected to the IDE header on the card.

I can create 2 identical 2GB partitions, DH0/DH1. Both appear correct and I can quick format them. I can copy Workbench 1.3 and Extras to DH0: and everything works really well. However, if I copy any programs over to DH1: I start to run into a few issues.

Either, when executing, I get a DOS error code 121 flash in the menu bar. Or I get a Dialog box warning about some Filesystem ( I can recall the wording exactly, but there's effectively an Okay and Debug button). Ultimately it means a reboot. Finally, if I use "Initialize" from the Workbench menu on the DH1 partition it eventually seems to corrupy the DH0 partition.

I'm guessing I'm outta luck on not only partitions >2GB but also on partitions past the 2GB drive boundary. Is this a known situation ?

iljitsch

Posted Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:44 pm

I wanted to run Kickstart 1.3 on my 1200 but still be able to use the HDD. There is a guide for making your own Kickstart 1.3 with the new scsi.device, but the trouble with that is that apparently, you can't soft kick it, so you have to actually burn some ROMs if you want to go down that route.

So I decided to use GetSCSI11 instead to extract the A1200's scsi.device and just make a boot floppy that uses skick to load KS 1.3 and when booting under that mounts the HDD (well, CF card) using a mount list and then moves over all the assigns and executes the Startup-Sequence on the HDD. I originally wanted to do this using a small RAD: drive, but those don't survive the switch between KS 3.1 and KS 1.3.

This works relatively well although the system is not particularly stable, for instance, SysInfo has garbled text and soon crashes.

Tip: delete devs:system-configuration to make sure you get to use the whole screen on a PAL machine when using an NTSC Workbench disk.

If anyone wants further details, let me know.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:44 pm

What a crazy, awesome idea. :boing: <3 :D

A 1.3 machine with AGA graphics? Does AGA software/games work still?

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:28 pm

slaine wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:56 am
[...]
I'm guessing I'm outta luck on not only partitions >2GB but also on partitions past the 2GB drive boundary. Is this a known situation ?
Sorry for having overlooked your question.
Did you try PFS3AIO from aminet as an alternative filesystem to seeing that helps?

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/pfs3aio

iljitsch

Posted Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:57 pm

intric8 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:44 pm
A 1.3 machine with AGA graphics? Does AGA software/games work still?
I think that depends on whether the software directly accesses the hardware, or it uses the OS in some way. And the 1.3 OS obviously has no idea about AGA. I think it's the 1.x era games that tend to go directly to the hardware while the AGA era games tend to use the OS, so games and other software that run under 1.3 but still use AGA are probably very rare.

But turns out that after switching from the default 60 column mode to 80 column mode, SysInfo is less crashy, and it clearly recognizes the AGA chipset under 1.3.

I must say that WB 1.3 is like coming home after a long time away, and there's a lot to like about the way it looks. But I'd love to couple that to the way 3.x works, for the most part.

I've also been thinking about running old software that works best under 1.3 using WHDLoad.

slaine

Posted Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:00 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:28 pm
Sorry for having overlooked your question.
Did you try PFS3AIO from aminet as an alternative filesystem to seeing that helps?

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/pfs3aio
Bit slow on noticing this response, sorry. Yes, I've actually got it formatted with pfs3aio. After doing some debugging with the author, it seems it was a limitation on the Oktagon ROM used in the TurboCard I have in my A500. Still, 2GB is more than enough for an A500 on KS1.3. I've my A1200 for WHDLoad games etc. Though, I do have a few fav games on the 1.3 machine with JST working well.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:00 am

Glad you sorted it out.

Yes, 2GB is a lot for KS1.3. Heck, 200MB would be a lot… ;) .

Toni, the maintainer of the PFS3AIO package, introduced a special PFS3 that would work with the „most braindead host adaptors“ as he called them back then :). He was referring to the SCSI on the Phoenix board.

Please be aware of the Octapus(sy) replacement for the Octoagon.

slaine

Posted Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:48 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:00 am
Please be aware of the Octapus(sy) replacement for the Octoagon.
Yes, I am aware. And in fact that ROM is also built into the HC533 card with a jumper to switch between. However that ROM only works with KS2.0+. So while it may see more than the 2G on the card it doesn't matter as I wanted this machine as close to a maxed out stock A500 as possible with old blue as the workbench.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:29 am

Thanks a lot for explaining.

Return to “Hardware”