Mixel

Posted Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:24 am

Hi again..

This seems a silly question but is there, or has there ever been a Amiga 23 pin video splitter or switch?

I love my OSSC but it gives me one set of (progressive scan) workbench/application resolutions through a vga cable and much better motion and nicer looking games through the rgb scart cable..

In a perfect world I wouldn’t have to keep swapping the cables.. So - is there such a thing? And where can I buy it? 😅

(The “official” OSSC chat over on EAB said to try a different scart cable too - who knows, that might stop me needing to do this entirely, I doubt it though? If that doesn’t work I’d still benefit from a 23 pin splitter as I could simultaneously plug in two Amiga-scart cables and use my other cheapo upscaler sometimes when I need to flicker-fix interlaced modes?)

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:45 am

Maybe an Indivision Flickerfixer/Scandoubler is an alternative for you in case you don’t want to use the OSSC?

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:10 am

I don't recall ever seeing an Amiga RGB Switch box.

However, Parallel and Serial Switch boxes are pretty abundant. It would be some work but you might, for example, take a Parallel switch box and replace all the DB25 pin connectors with DB23 pin connectors. The DB23 pin connectors are apparently going to be made again so sometime soon they should be available in abundance pretty soon. I have never tried this but it seems like it could work. For RGB video I think only about 5 or 6 pins are used.

Mixel

Posted Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:19 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:45 am
Maybe an Indivision Flickerfixer/Scandoubler is an alternative for you in case you don’t want to use the OSSC?
Ooh! It's certainly an option, but the OSSC's HDMI out has been really easy to split and feed into my HDMI capture stick (and i can use it on things other than the Amiga, which is handy).. Can I ask a bunch of Indivision questions for anyone who has one? haha.

Does the amiga continue to output into the old 23pin thing as well as the DVI, and does the flicker fixing only apply to the DVI port or both?

Asking as if both stay active there's no reason I couldn't use the OSSC and the Indivision in at the same time, in case the Indivision has any problems with game motion like the OSSC does from VGA (not all games, but there's some nasty temporal banding, looks a bit like heat haze when playing things like Apidya)

Right now I'm experimenting with just not using interlaced resolutions, which is actually a bit scary tbh, I can't imagine drawing with a 2x1 pixel ratio, even if i can get the UI to fit on screen.. (looking at you, ArtEffect - and your giant toolbar!)

.. A 23pin splitter/switch would be a lot cheaper than an Indivision :D , I just don't think they're a thing.
Zippy Zapp wrote: I don't recall ever seeing an Amiga RGB Switch box.

However, Parallel and Serial Switch boxes are pretty abundant. It would be some work but you might, for example, take a Parallel switch box and replace all the DB25 pin connectors with DB23 pin connectors. The DB23 pin connectors are apparently going to be made again so sometime soon they should be available in abundance pretty soon. I have never tried this but it seems like it could work. For RGB video I think only about 5 or 6 pins are used.
Ah, thanks! that's interesting! That seems a bit beyond my current ability level but possibly a worthwhile project if I can't figure something else out in future. :)

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi,
yes. The Indivision and the normal DB23 output are active at the same time / in parallel.

Cheers,
McT

Mixel

Posted Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:37 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:02 pm
Hi,
yes. The Indivision and the normal DB23 output are active at the same time / in parallel.

Cheers,
McT
TY! that’s very handy sounding! That’d make fitting it into my current setup really easy. If I can’t get scart/OSSC under control at higher resolutions ill look into getting one.

I tried hi-res non laced for a day and I don’t think I can handle it, it’s too weird having non square pixels. :D

Return to “Hardware”