Warty

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:05 pm

Hi Folks, new poster here.

I'm upgrading my A1000 with a 68030TK and an indivision ECS vs (thanks EzdineG for coming up with both of the relocator boards needed for those 2 projects!). I like both these projects (aside from being awesome) because they don't require anything hanging off the side of the Amiga. They both fit inside the Amiga. But of course some things need a way out...
- Switch for the Kickstart selector
- CF card: would be a pain to bury it in the case.
- VGA out

Cutting a hole in the case is out.

So how have you solved this problem for your Amigas?

I'm wondering if a 3D printed back panel would be doable. Even a straight repro would be ok by me, I wouldn't mind hacking holes in that.

One idea I don't love, but could probably make myself live with: 3D print something that pretends to hang off the right side of the case, as if it was using the expansion slot. I'm assuming a lot of people are already just feeding stuff through the expansion port slot already.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 pm

On A1K.org there were some people organizing a laser-cut plexiglass back group-buy.

I must admit I have totally slaughtered my case and even had it painted.

It might be worth looking into the expansion cover for CF and maybe a switch.

nonarkitten

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:33 am

I've not looked into this, but seems like a great start:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4120445

You can get the templates for different ports and punch out whatever holes you like.

nonarkitten

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:55 am

Quick Rhino3D model. I re-rounded everything (Rhino is a NURBS modeller), made the venting a little more aerodynamic, added labels and temporarily omitted any extra ports. Adding ports (cutouts) at this point is pretty straightforward.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:40 am

Plexilaser was selling back panels last year at relatively inexpensive prices. I picked up one. I was planning at the time to use it with my Phoenix A1000. I haven't done anything with it yet as I'm kinda overwhelmed with hobby projects, and other things.

You never see the back of your machines really, but I liked the C= logo for the fan vent. I thought tucking an LED light strip inside the case, then letting it pour out the back might look cool.

I don't actually see them on their site anymore for some reason.

IMG_8689.jpg
IMG_8690.jpg
IMG_8691.jpg

(nonarkitten that's awesome)

nonarkitten

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:42 pm

Okay, I went overboard and made a port for everything I could think of. This includes
  • two switches for kickstart and DF0 switching
  • Ethernet
  • Dual USB
  • VGA
  • HDMI
  • PCI
The PCI would be for various PCI bracket mounted things like Compact Flash adapters and whatnot, and certainly not for actual PCI cards as the Amiga 1000 lacks that ability. I'm not super happy with the sunk-in PCI look and given how little room we have inside the 1000, I'm going to take a stab at making it flush instead (with the top part of the PCI bracket sticking out).

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:46 pm

Are you planning on putting these various panels on Thingiverse at some point?

Shoot. My printer is way too small to print these, but I love where you're going with them.

nonarkitten

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:25 pm

intric8 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:46 pm
Are you planning on putting these various panels on Thingiverse at some point?

Shoot. My printer is way too small to print these, but I love where you're going with them.
Absolutely. And I'll find a nice way of splitting it in half; I was thinking a couple of interlocking tabs and maybe reuse the screw I'll need for the PCI slot. Maybe make 2-3 different left-hand and right-hand sides to mix-and-match.

Warty

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:34 pm

That's... beautiful! And kind of perfect. wow. Jealous.

The transparent one is also gorgeous in its own way. (And I agree, the C= fan vent is great).

halfbrite

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:11 pm

This is great!

Please do share and have both split and non split!

Return to “Hardware”