nonarkitten

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:37 am

Okay, I'm pretty happy with this. I'll post the whole file now and work on splitting it. Here are some details.

This is the 'aero' around the fan grille. Hopefully this helps improve airflow.

This shows the 'aero' on the backside of the grille and the PCI bracket retention (bottom part).

Here's my final solution for the PCI top-side retention. Instead of a screw and PEM (which is asking a bit much from DIYers), I have a nut-slot. You slide the nut into the spot then thread a #6-32 screw or bolt in to hold the PCI card in place. I strongly suggest printing this with 100% fill.

Here are the interior sides of the extra ports; HDMI, VGA, dual USB and Ethernet from left-to-right. All these panel mount extensions are available from Adafruit and Digi-Key. The guides are to make assembly easier and give the back panel a little more rigidity since we're cutting a lot of holes into it.

And finally the money shot.

Here's the STL file (fixed, Rhino3D kept resetting the font to Arial ... grr):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wjqKt0 ... sp=sharing

You'll want to print it face-down; all the lettering is indented and shouldn't pose a problem (the original 1000 was embossed which would have). Feedback welcome.

nonarkitten

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:27 am

Initial slicing and variations. Any others I should add?

nonarkitten

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:04 pm

intric8 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:40 am
Plexilaser was selling back panels last year at relatively inexpensive prices. I picked up one. I was planning at the time to use it with my Phoenix A1000. I haven't done anything with it yet as I'm kinda overwhelmed with hobby projects, and other things.

You never see the back of your machines really, but I liked the C= logo for the fan vent. I thought tucking an LED light strip inside the case, then letting it pour out the back might look cool.

(nonarkitten that's awesome)
Thanks, and I remember those. I was going to order one and never got around to it. Not to be outdone:

Or the cooler looking but probably unprintable.

nonarkitten

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:08 pm

Split version with variants. I'll upload to Thingverse (eventually).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wTSbVL ... sp=sharing

halfbrite

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:22 pm

Amazing! Will print some tonight!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:33 pm

@halfbrite please post pics of your results after you're done, pretty please! I imagine it will take several hours - good luck!

Warty

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:41 pm

3D printing newbie question: I know you can order online 3D printing. Do they have like super huge 3D printers that wouldn't need the split, or would they also require it?

What would you recommend for mounting a CF card? Here's the one that comes with 68030TK:
product_cf_card_adapter.jpg
Assuming there was a hole for it, I don't see a great way to anchor the ribbon or the adapter itself to the back panel. Maybe there are ribbon cables with a panel-mount terminator that would work (I'll go look). That would leave the adapter bit sticking out of the back an inch or so (with no card), but that's probably not a bad thing, as you could see the lights then.

kneehighspy
usa

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:45 pm

those a1000 plates look sweet!

halfbrite

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:54 pm

intric8 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:33 pm
@halfbrite please post pics of your results after you're done, pretty please! I imagine it will take several hours - good luck!
I have to do the split versions as my printer is only 240x240mm bed. I looked and they were not seperate parts, I will double check again. And yes you can order large prints for a single piece from places.

halfbrite

Posted Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:58 pm

Warty wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:41 pm
3D printing newbie question: I know you can order online 3D printing. Do they have like super huge 3D printers that wouldn't need the split, or would they also require it?

What would you recommend for mounting a CF card? Here's the one that comes with 68030TK:
product_cf_card_adapter.jpg

Assuming there was a hole for it, I don't see a great way to anchor the ribbon or the adapter itself to the back panel. Maybe there are ribbon cables with a panel-mount terminator that would work (I'll go look). That would leave the adapter bit sticking out of the back an inch or so (with no card), but that's probably not a bad thing, as you could see the lights then.
If it is ide to cf, get one that has a PC bracket. Like this.

Return to “Hardware”