nonarkitten

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:37 pm

Also super curious -- where did you get 3D plastic that's "PC beige"????

halfbrite

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:44 pm

nonarkitten wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:35 pm
halfbrite wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:06 pm
Any one interested in me doing face up prints?
Great job, although it looks like the other side MIGHT have got a little cut-off. I'm so happy that the PCI slot fits -- I'm guessing that fuzzy bit is some support from the slicer? Also, the text looks really good for a 3D print! Wow.

Here are the parts pre-split with a join that keeps them more rigid and aligned.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y6W64k ... sp=sharing
Hah, was just about to say something about the left side being flat and not curved, I am going to go back and look. Not sure which fuzzy bits (Ones to the right? If so yes the supports that I cracked off, again I am too lazy to do a proper clean!), as a test print I expected a few hmms :)

Here are some shots for comparison of an actual a1000.

nonarkitten

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:49 pm

halfbrite wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:01 pm
So here are my thoughts, I would not print sideways, layering is pretty bad,
I would say this one looks better than the face-down print.
halfbrite wrote:
I will do a test fit in my A1000 to see how it fits, then think about adding some thickness if possible to the print, as well as adding supports only where needed.
There's not much room for extra thickness and still be compatible with the actual Amiga 1000 case. Is there any spot in particular you need beefed up?
halfbrite wrote:
If the top faces up, raised letters and icons could be added, would look super cool!
This can be done; although the PCI would need a LOT of support added.
halfbrite wrote:
The best quality will probably be printing face up then, just means trouble with the PCI bracket as there will be a lot of supports on that side. The other option would be to have the PCI bracket mounted on the outside of the case.
Yeah, I tried to do this and it just looks terrible. It might make more sense to make the PCI bracket a separate part and flatten down the backside. Make the text embossed out and add some icons...

nonarkitten

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:08 pm

All the different options right now:

halfbrite

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:11 pm

Just doing some other prints so my printer is tied up for another 6 hours now. But anything you want to throw at me I can help you print and develop.

For the thickness, it is more about having an object to just print with some overhangs, rather than have to have all the supports generated then snap, clean, sand off, etc.

Better printers can have some over hang without support, as you saw with the vertical print, all the slats, holes, etc had no supports, they were printed like magic in thin air ;)

No way I can do a 150mm overhang though! ;)

So hard to illustrate, but in this photo you could make a more solid mass behind the plate and over the existing connectors, with of course hollowed out spaces for all the existing/new added port holes. The places to put solid blocking are poorly represented with the ripped off supports from the last print.

This would then mean you could print outside up, with either minimal or no supports.

The other option is the person doing the slicing has to manually add supports suitable for their printer.

nonarkitten

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:41 pm

halfbrite wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:11 pm
Just doing some other prints so my printer is tied up for another 6 hours now. But anything you want to throw at me I can help you print and develop.

For the thickness, it is more about having an object to just print with some overhangs, rather than have to have all the supports generated then snap, clean, sand off, etc.

Better printers can have some over hang without support, as you saw with the vertical print, all the slats, holes, etc had no supports, they were printed like magic in thin air ;)

No way I can do a 150mm overhang though! ;)

So hard to illustrate, but in this photo you could make a more solid mass behind the plate and over the existing connectors, with of course hollowed out spaces for all the existing/new added port holes. The places to put solid blocking are poorly represented with the ripped off supports from the last print.

This would then mean you could print outside up, with either minimal or no supports.
I think I follow. So the face down layer usually looks the worst and we want to build up the model like a "tower" that avoids significant overhangs with the "best side" facing straight up?

nonarkitten

Posted Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:43 pm

Like this? It would mean gluing in the rest of the PCI bracket assembly. Everything here is totally flush. I have no idea if this would fit in an actual 1000; I would have to check the edge tolerances and the space the motherboard and IO actually take up.

blindguy

Posted Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:18 am

I did a test print of the full one and it looks pretty good.
I can do single one pieces ones if anyone here in the US wants them.
The pictures loook like crap but it looks better in human vision.
Attachments
20200810_111158.jpg
20200810_111149.jpg
20200810_111154.jpg

nonarkitten

Posted Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:22 pm

blindguy wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:18 am
I did a test print of the full one and it looks pretty good.
I can do single one pieces ones if anyone here in the US wants them.
The pictures loook like crap but it looks better in human vision.
WOW

blindguy

Posted Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:17 pm

halfbrite wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:06 pm
Any one interested in me doing face up prints?
Where you located? I've been getting better results with top down but I'll give it a shot.

Return to “Hardware”