fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:28 pm

Hi all, so I finally have my 50MHz 030 + FPU accelerated 1200 running and I have come slap bang into a new issue, keeping this baby cool enough to run longer than 2 hours.

I mean, it makes sense. The accelerator is in the trap door, close to the desk. There is precious little space for air flow. So I am exploring cooling solutions.

What are you doing to keep your machine cool? Are you using heat sinks, fans, both? I want to keep the original case if possible. I am going to dremel slots into the trap door cover, but, I am thinking some form of active air flow needs to be introduced here.

nonarkitten

Posted Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:09 pm

fxgogo wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:28 pm
Hi all, so I finally have my 50MHz 030 + FPU accelerated 1200 running and I have come slap bang into a new issue, keeping this baby cool enough to run longer than 2 hours.

I mean, it makes sense. The accelerator is in the trap door, close to the desk. There is precious little space for air flow. So I am exploring cooling solutions.

What are you doing to keep your machine cool? Are you using heat sinks, fans, both? I want to keep the original case if possible. I am going to dremel slots into the trap door cover, but, I am thinking some form of active air flow needs to be introduced here.
All Amigas are cool. What are you talking about?

In all seriousness, back in the day you could fit a 3.5” hard drive if you removed the RF shield. This was awesome because 2.5” drives were expensive and puny.

That should be enough for a couple of 80mm fans venting straight up.

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:28 am

My impression is that it could be worthwhile to measure.

Unlike the 040, the 030 does not get too warm. Some might produce some warmth depending on frequency they’re used at.

So best would be to base any decision on facts 😀.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:46 am

It is kinda wierd. The desk underneth the machine becomes too hot to touch. And I was doing simple file operations, nothing too hectic. Yeah a monitor and measure does make sense. Does SysInfo produce a log of CPU activity over time? I could use a thermometer to measure the CPU temp.

blindguy

Posted Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:56 pm

I 3D printed a couple of the trapdoors with vents and then some legs to raise the A1200 about 1 inch and that has helped ALOT!! I did the same thign with my A600.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:40 pm

blindguy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:56 pm
I 3D printed a couple of the trapdoors with vents and then some legs to raise the A1200 about 1 inch and that has helped ALOT!! I did the same thign with my A600.
My mate did the same thing with rising it up. Not sure it makes keyboard use easier. Did it bother you?

Bulletdust

Posted Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:44 am

I don't run a trapdoor cover on my A1200, I stored it away safely and added a cutdown 'northbridge' heatsink off an old X86 motherboard. My 030 @ 40Mhz runs nicely.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:43 pm

Bulletdust wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:44 am
I don't run a trapdoor cover on my A1200, I stored it away safely and added a cutdown 'northbridge' heatsink off an old X86 motherboard. My 030 @ 40Mhz runs nicely.
That sounds like a good idea. Silent solution. Nice

blindguy

Posted Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:26 am

fxgogo wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:40 pm
blindguy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:56 pm
My mate did the same thing with rising it up. Not sure it makes keyboard use easier. Did it bother you?
Nope, it only raises it like 1 inch! It seems fine.

Return to “Hardware”