Mixel

Posted Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:43 am

I have the same external drive and thought about this but with my A1200 I don't know how I'd get an external gotek to register as DF0: so most* games wouldn't work.. Which is what I'd want a Gotek for in the first place. I've seen switches for A500s to toggle between external and external drives, I wonder why it's so different with the A1200 though? :?

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:06 pm

Mixel wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:43 am
I have the same external drive and thought about this but with my A1200 I don't know how I'd get an external gotek to register as DF0: so most* games wouldn't work.. Which is what I'd want a Gotek for in the first place. I've seen switches for A500s to toggle between external and external drives, I wonder why it's so different with the A1200 though? :?
A lot of it probably has to do with the A500 being through hole tech versus the 1200 being SMD. The 500's floppy switcher relies upon you removing a chip from the motherboard, inserting the switcher circuitry into the socket, and then reinserting the chip back into the new socket on top of the switcher. Since the 1200 is all SMD chips, except for the ROMs, it's not so simple.

Mixel

Posted Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:54 am

obitus1990 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:06 pm
Mixel wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:43 am
A lot of it probably has to do with the A500 being through hole tech versus the 1200 being SMD. The 500's floppy switcher relies upon you removing a chip from the motherboard, inserting the switcher circuitry into the socket, and then reinserting the chip back into the new socket on top of the switcher. Since the 1200 is all SMD chips, except for the ROMs, it's not so simple.
Thankyou, that makes a lot more sense now. I suppose I could put a Gotek inside and have that be DF0: and just use the external as DF1 but I'm reluctant to remove the internal drive. I'll probably just be a wuss and stick to WHDLoad! :lol:

Return to “Hardware”