kerobaros

Posted Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:49 pm

Okay so. I placed an order for some parts from an Amiga retailer who shall not be named here, and it took them EIGHT MONTHS to deliver it. I'm perfectly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because of, well, everything in the world, but I've heard other people complaining about similar 'customer service', so I'll just leave them unnamed and avoid them in the future.

But anyway. My weirdo Amiga 2000 v3.9 and I have been on an upgrading spree the last few days!
-added CR2032 holder for a clock battery
-68010 CPU swapped in for the 68000
-switchable KS1.3/3.1.4 from our good friend obitus1990, as well as an adapter to let my old 2000 board see such a big ROM. same issue as an old Amiga 500, it turns out; that took me well over six months to figure out.
-a scsi2sd in an external case, though I'll be putting it inside the case at some point in the future

and finally, as an ode to our dear leader intric8, an external AppleCD 300 I had lying around. (I'd call it an AppleCD 300e, since it's an external case, but the drive has 'AppleCD 300i Plus' on its label? who knows.)

This is what I have questions about today! I have OS 3.1.4 installed, which seems to have CD-ROM filesystem support built in, according to Hyperion. Then I installed BestWB and WHDLoad on top of that. I burned a copy of Gold Fish, Volume 3. Do I have to do anything special to get the Amiga to mount the CD? Inside SCSIMounter, I can see the CD drive, and it says 'Ready' whenever there's a disc inserted, even listing the capacity as 648Mb; but when I click 'Mount', it gives 'Error: No Rigid Disk Block.'

I feel like I'm missing something simple, this is all fairly new to me, haha. Any ideas?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:28 pm

and finally, as an ode to our dear leader intric8, an external AppleCD 300
Hah! That made me literally LOL. I think that's the first time I've been referred to in a similar way as Kim Jong-un!

On my machine that is running 3.1 I also installed CD-ROM software. It just made everything work seamlessly. It's called AmiCDROM and it was a flawless victory. Have you tried to install that package? It's totally free.

kerobaros

Posted Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:36 pm

intric8 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:28 pm
and finally, as an ode to our dear leader intric8, an external AppleCD 300
Hah! That made me literally LOL. I think that's the first time I've been referred to in a similar way as Kim Jong-un!

On my machine that is running 3.1 I also installed CD-ROM software. It just made everything work seamlessly. It's called AmiCDROM and it was a flawless victory. Have you tried to install that package? It's totally free.
After watching your video about our common CD drive, I wondered if I should install that; as I say, I was under the impression that OS 3.1.4 already has another implementation of the CD-ROM filesystem included, and I didn't know if installing both would mess anything up. But I've got nothing else to do tonight, so let's give it a try!

kerobaros

Posted Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:56 pm

Well, shout my mouth and call me by an incorrect name, it worked. I installed AmiCDROM according to the directions in its .guide file, typed 'mount cd0:' in a newcli, and I have GoldFish Vol 3 on my Workbench. I didn't even have to restart after installing AmiCDROM! Super awesome.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:36 pm

Hah! It's pretty damned cool, right? Congrats!

I wish C= had made it's own external CD drives for us to use, but the AppleCD is super sweet. Now you can also go futz around with some of the bad ass music players, too, and pull those old music CD stacks out of those boxes!

kerobaros

Posted Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:38 pm

I will do those things, after I'm done burning my entire WHDLoad collection to CD in 700MB chunks :D

dalek
Australia

Posted Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:04 pm

It's disappointing that you didn't get your Amiga kit in a timely fashion :(

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:09 pm

I'm going to make a wild, unwarranted and completely baseless assumption that the vendor in question has a name that is related to body of water.

If true, those guys have day jobs and - based on the experiences of some of my friends - require at least 2 emails to sometimes get their attention. But it's not always like that. YMMV

kerobaros

Posted Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:42 pm

No, Mr. intric8, the post above yours was a little closer to reality. But! That story has ended, and another has begun.

To update before I cease my activity for the evening: I got the AmiCDROM handler working and reading disks, but AmiCDROM doesn't appear to support long file names, and some WHDLoad filenames are loooong. So I went on an adventure to get OS 3.1.4's CDROM file system to work instead. And after copy and pasting a mountlist I found on EAB somewhere, it's working-- mostly. I can read all the files, with their beautiful long names, but it tends to guru out if I copy more than one or two at a time. Sometimes it'll guru on the first file I copy! So I'll have to play around with some of the weirder options in the mountlist I found.

Does anyone here run OS 3.1.4 and use the built-in CDFileSystem? Can you copy and paste your entry in Devs:DOSDevices for me? (Maybe this post should be in Software by this point)

progress, progress, progress.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:14 am

It’s been some time and I don’t have my Amiga setup but rather in bits and pieces ... it’s a project.

Anyways, after installing 3.1.4 you should have a mountfile that you need to adapt to your host adapter and the unit of the CD.

This files should still be on the install disks.

Return to “Hardware”