rjd324

Posted Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:03 am

Hey all, I guess just supplying a link to the video is all that is needed. It is just a demonstration of my lovely A1000 w/ Parceiro and a question about an issue I have with the floppy drive.

Regards!

https://youtu.be/xY80wwy-dBo

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:42 am

First, that tab on your 1083S (I'd never even heard of that model before) I have that issue on two of my monitors. I tried the glue approach so many times... it simply never lasts.

My ultimate fix? I used a precision drill (I know I know) on that piece of the monitor casing and used a white nylon nut and bolt that presses through the hole and into the tray piece. You don't even notice it unless I point it out and it works flawlessly. It's the only way I've ever been able to repair that issue and not have it fall apart on me days later. That hinge, as simple as it is, can't take the pressure of the close-latch mechanism and the required perfect alignment of the pin with just glue. I even used a special compound to try and melt the plastics together. Didn't help as the surface area is just so small.

Anyhoo... looks like this:

IMG_2079.jpg
Maybe once a year I'll use a fingernail to re-tighten the little bolt and nut.

IMG_2080.jpg

Very functional and camouflages itself into the background.

As for caps, you're right. The A1K very rarely ever needs a recap. Neither do the 500, 2000 or 3000. It's all the others that are ticking time bombs. I think with the 3000 the weakest link, besides the placement of the varta battery, is its PSU from what I've been told.

To that end I've never had an A1K PSU go out on me. Well, since they are over 35 years old now I do have a couple where the internal fan grease is obviously hardened, so the fan will produce a clunking noise.

For your floppy drive issue, that's a really tough one. I had a very similar situation with my Amiga Phoenix machine. The positioning and tolerance of the drive has to be absolutely perfect for the disk to be read. Yours is entirely stock with all of the shielding and supports in place, so that's a real head scratcher.

With my current Rejuvenator machine that is my daily driver, it doesn't even have the shielding installed. The top of the plastic case bends ever so slightly under the weight of the 1080 above. You can see it most noticeably around the power switch, where the plastic doesn't match perfectly as a result of the bending.

But it's so slight I don't worry about it. And I've never had an issue with the floppy drive.

Are all of the screws that go below the A1K's case installed entirely? (they can strip very easily, btw)

rjd324

Posted Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:49 pm

Thanks Eric. Then I will try that fix on the monitor at some point.

I forgot to ask about the PSU in the video actually. That was something I was concerned about. When I got this machine I did open it up and have a look and was thinking about replacing those caps but again I just left them so it is good to know that you believe them to be fairly long lasting; not that I will hold you liable if anything blows up!

If you are talking about the 5 screws at the bottom of the case that are required to be removed to remove the top panel, then I believe they are in tight. I will do some more experimenting at some point.

Thanks for your detail.

rjd324

Posted Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:04 pm

So, the floppy drive issue is interference after all. I put the monitor on a swivel plastic monitor stand and placed it in the centre and there are now no problems. Still wondering why the shielding/grounding is not redirecting the interference away.

TjLaZer
Tacompton

Posted Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:07 pm

I made a reply to your video. Yes I think it's interference from the monitor. The original 1080 monitor had a thick metal plate under it molded into the case that was screwed in, and I always wondered why. Now I know why. ;)

walldog

Posted Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:31 pm

Hello.. so I seem to be having a similar problem.. I recently acquired a UK A1000 with rejuvinator! I swapped to 110V US PSU and changed rejuvinator jumper to NTSC.. Along with my Parceiro it boots right up! Until…

You put JUST the plastic lid on top. Then it will not read my boot floppy.. Take cover off and boots right up..

I feel this is also an interference issue but I am now stumped.. Anyone have any guidance? Much appreciated

Return to “Hardware”