JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:50 pm

Well, finally scored a beater external hard drive on fleaBay, a GVP A500.

Has no drive, and I paid way too much for it, but that's ok, as I really just wanted it for the SCSI connection. I can still install a drive in it, eventually, but I've got another external hard drive that I couldn't hook up without the interface.

My goal is to hack it for use with the A1000 (using KS 2.04 via a ROM switcher). I know it's gonna look strange with the back side facing forward, at least until I can mod a different case and do some re-engineering of the innards.

It's just a stop-gap measure while I pursue the hunt for those unicorns of A1000 peripherals, the elusive Sidecar and Starboard.

Is it worth wasting the time, or should I just stick to using it with the A500?

obitus1990
USA

Posted Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:59 pm

Stick that thing on an A500 :)

I'm pretty sure that if you try to use it on an A500, it won't be merely the back that is facing forwards -- It will be upside down. I had my ACA500 attached to my 1000 to test it out, and it had to be used upside down, else it and/or the 1000 would be damaged.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

ubermick
California, via Cork

Posted Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:09 pm

Hahah, I was eyeing that myself to use with my A500+. Glad it went to a good home.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:53 am

obitus1990 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:59 pm
I'm pretty sure that if you try to use it on an A500, it won't be merely the back that is facing forwards -- It will be upside down. I had my ACA500 attached to my 1000 to test it out, and it had to be used upside down, else it and/or the 1000 would be damaged.
I guess I'll have to locate a schematic or open it up to view the card edge to discover the location of Pin 1 to be certain. I could've sworn I read that the orientation remained the same (up was still up), but instead of Pin 1 being at the front (like on the A500) it was at the back on the A1000 (and on the side of the card edge as the A500, IIRC).

I'll definitely confirm before attempting to plug it in and apply power.

Edit: I misspoke earlier about the Sidecar, I forgot that it was a PC-XT box and not a SCSI enclosure. Anyway, after doing more searching it appears that my original assumption might be correct, that all that would be required to attach the GVP Impact A500 would be to simply rotate it 180 degrees (the back of the unit would be facing forwards, but otherwise in an upright position). But, I'm still attempting to locate the definitive answer online (instead of anecdotal information). Finding a schematic is a little tough, but I believe that I actually might have a hard-copy service manual (with schematic) somewhere in my pile of documentation and paperwork; just have to locate the durn thing...

obitus1990
USA

Posted Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:59 am

I think you are correct with orientation. I am probably mis-remembering how I connected it, as it was a few years ago, and only to test it briefly with a kickstart relocator I installed inside my 1000 to eliminate the need for a KS disk.

Return to “Hardware”