fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed May 05, 2021 7:18 am

You make a good point there Mixel. Massive acceleration, but still being able to use the hardware ports. I still have to get my wacom connected to my 1200 by the way. Is there any lag with the tablet on the real hardware?

Mixel

Posted Wed May 05, 2021 8:56 am

fxgogo wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:18 am
You make a good point there Mixel. Massive acceleration, but still being able to use the hardware ports. I still have to get my wacom connected to my 1200 by the way. Is there any lag with the tablet on the real hardware?
No lag when running the sort of software they were really designed for.. DPaint, PPaint, etc at faster/lower resolutions, even with pressure working nicely, its as responsive as the mouse. But without RTG - photogenics and ArtEffect have to be ran at HighRes-Laced for the UIs to even fit on screen + and they add a ton of delay on my 030 because it can't keep up with the way more complex brush engines. ArtEffect is almost like running Corel Painter or something though so it's not really a surprise it can't keep up.

I would love to see them running on an non-RTG system with a fast '060, just out of curiosity.

Based on how it runs in UAE though, it'd be absolutely lovely to work in with Pi CPU performance on the original hardware.

nonarkitten

Posted Fri May 07, 2021 7:03 pm

BloodyCactus wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:01 pm
nonarkitten wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:01 am
And finally, you know that massive 40 year old power supply and NMOS based logic board suck up a lot of power, and now that we're not using it for anything, we'll just remove those and power off a 5.1V wall wart.
well the A1K expectes a 'tick' at 50hz/60hz from the PSU. so its not so simple to just throw out the psu unless you have a tick circuit replacement as well.
I think you missed the point.

The Last Coder

Posted Sun May 09, 2021 9:13 pm

With a Pi storm, and one of a number of Pi's I bought and never got around to using fully (and lets face it, how many of us have a few of those still lying around), I can now supercharge my Miggy, and make it the dream Amiga I always wanted. I don't care if it's merely a novelty it'll still make me smile and potentially opens a up a few use cases that would have been too slow or impossible. The thing is there's something about mucking around with my Amiga 1000 that is lost via emulation. Emulation just feels cheap, and like cheating, and doesn't make me want to play around with Amiga software. Your expectation is altered by emulation somehow and something always feels off. The Amiga for me these days is about about the nostalgia and remembrance of the good feelings I had in my youth. It's not about doing anything particularly useful. At least if I'm clunking away on the original hardware, no matter the illusion powering it underneath, it feels like fun again.

It'd be like kitting up a vintage car you drive on the weekends, and if there was such a thing as cheaply and unobtrusively klunking on an electric engine in the trunk/boot for more power I gladly would. It's like you're still driving your vintage car, and how that makes you feel, and now enjoy much more power on the road.

nonarkitten

Posted Mon May 10, 2021 5:58 am

The Last Coder wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:13 pm
With a Pi storm, and one of a number of Pi's I bought and never got around to using fully (and lets face it, how many of us have a few of those still lying around), I can now supercharge my Miggy, and make it the dream Amiga I always wanted. I don't care if it's merely a novelty it'll still make me smile and potentially opens a up a few use cases that would have been too slow or impossible. The thing is there's something about mucking around with my Amiga 1000 that is lost via emulation. Emulation just feels cheap, and like cheating, and doesn't make me want to play around with Amiga software. Your expectation is altered by emulation somehow and something always feels off. The Amiga for me these days is about about the nostalgia and remembrance of the good feelings I had in my youth. It's not about doing anything particularly useful. At least if I'm clunking away on the original hardware, no matter the illusion powering it underneath, it feels like fun again.

It'd be like kitting up a vintage car you drive on the weekends, and if there was such a thing as cheaply and unobtrusively klunking on an electric engine in the trunk/boot for more power I gladly would. It's like you're still driving your vintage car, and how that makes you feel, and now enjoy much more power on the road.
What part of the PiStorm isn't emulation? Also, unless you're ready to desolder the USB and Ethernet ports, you need a Model A and not the vastly more common Model B.

The Last Coder

Posted Mon May 10, 2021 4:43 pm

What part of the PiStorm isn't emulation?
I'm not saying it's not emulation, I'm saying I don't care. To me at lease it feels a little like saying that if I get an artificial heart, I stop being human. If it quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck....it's now Superduck. If it just quacks like a duck on the other hand.... not so interesting.
Also, unless you're ready to desolder the USB and Ethernet ports, you need a Model A and not the vastly more common Model B.
You can use a riser off the Pi's IO ports as in one of the first videos. I'm told there's likely to be headroom in the A1000 case at least.

maurensen

Posted Tue May 11, 2021 4:49 am

Me want one for my 1000!!!!!

apsteinmetz

Posted Mon May 24, 2021 1:02 pm

stevelord wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:59 am
Chris Edwards has a video running the PiStorm on an Amiga 1000. Interestingly, no more Kickstart disk needed.

Trigger warning: He ain't running 1.x.
I was intrigued by that. I would make my 1000 (first love, you know) my daily driver if I could easily soup it up in a non-destructive way, which Chris seems to do. I don't game so I can live with 512k of chip RAM.

I, too, did a double-take seeing 3.1.4 on there. It never occurred to me to make a 3.1 KS disk, but I ran it through winUAE and there it is so now I'll try making a floppy KS.

FerociousAmiga

Posted Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:25 am

I recently received my PiStorm and prior to installing in my A500 saw these reviews from "10 Minute AMIGA Retro Cast".. :(
.The Amiga PiStorm Review - (And it's not $11) - Episode 97 ,

.Addendum to the PiStorm Review - My CHIP RAM is faster now!

Did some additional research and found similar feedback to the above videos so I sold my PiStorm. I'll check back in a year from now to see how development is progressing.

I went with a "Classic 520" accelerator (020) instead which is a lot more moola but does everything I need and doesn’t have TerribleFire issues.
.KJmanns' Retro Reviews - EP20 Classic 520 Accelerator (Amiga 500-1000),

.Episode 46 - Amiga 520 Classic Accelerator for the A500 and A1000

Return to “Hardware”