obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:35 pm

I have a C= 1960 monitor that ceased to function a couple of years ago. No one where I live services CRTs any longer, and, when I have found an "old retired TV repair man" (found via a convoluted search and referral from local repair shops of modern TVs) who still might do it, as soon as I tell him it's a computer monitor and not a television, they back out (even with schematics!) saying they don't do computer monitors.

I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the tube...it's definitely a chassis issue (missing voltages at certain test points on the board). Anyone know someone that can repair this if I only send in the chassis to them (is that even possible)?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:12 pm

I have a local friend who has recapped some of my monitors, but the only actual CRT repair guy I know (and have used) is Ray Carlsen.

He can only repair and replace components that are either readily available, or something he has in his own collection that he can swap. He fixed my 1902A like that.

He's criminally affordable, but the real PITA is shipping things back and forth. If you don't have anyone local, it's tough. No doubt about it.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:11 am

+1 on Ray, he does excellent work. I've bought a power supply from him that's solid and bulletproof (powers C64/128 and A500).

Christian

Posted Wed May 05, 2021 10:25 pm

I also think Ray does a great job. He fixed several of my monitors.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu May 06, 2021 6:30 am

I had contacted him. Unfortunately, he is not familiar with the monitor, and doesn't like dealing with VGA monitors to begin with. He didn't have a schematic for it, so I provided one of the many scans available on the net, all of which are of pretty low quality (multiple areas on circuit paths that are so faint that you cannot tell if they connect or just pass through). He said those were marginal at best, and said he would have to decline.

Christian

Posted Thu May 06, 2021 9:23 pm

Missing voltages are often due to a short of the flyback transformer or the HOT transistor. But there are many other possible reasons of course.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Fri May 07, 2021 9:37 am

It is a sad reality that these are all dying one by one. I still need to get my Philips 8833 MKII repaired.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri May 07, 2021 4:49 pm

Christian wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:23 pm
Missing voltages are often due to a short of the flyback transformer or the HOT transistor. But there are many other possible reasons of course.
The HOT was shorted, and I replaced it, but no changes. So, the next thing to replace would by the flyback, if I can find one that works with this tube.

Return to “Hardware”