JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Wed May 19, 2021 8:03 am

Did a quick search here, but didn't come up with a definitive answer, so asking in this thread.

Since the A1000 has a different parallel port configuration from all of the other models, has anyone successfully used the widely available Plipbox with an A1000? I would think that there'd be issues (not only physical ones with the port gender).

Sure would be nice to use one, eventually...

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed May 19, 2021 7:41 pm

I don't own an A1000 or a Plipbox but like you said, the differences between the A1000 and all other Amiga models after it is more than just the gender. That said all the signals are there but there are a few that need to be mapped to a different pin for a standard parallel port. Way back when I made an adapter cable to convert the Amiga 1000 parallel to a more standard parallel port found on the A2000/500 and later models for a friend. It is pretty easy to do you just need a couple DB25 connectors, a Male and a Female, some DB25 hoods and some 16 conductor wire (you can run all the grounds together on the connector).

I would think if you do that it should work.

The Amiga parallel port is close to a standard parallel port used on PCs at the time except for one difference. The Amiga parallel port supplies +5v power which is pin 23 on the A1000 and pin 14 on all other Amiga models.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Thu May 20, 2021 5:02 am

Zippy Zapp wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:41 pm
The Amiga parallel port is close to a standard parallel port used on PCs at the time except for one difference. The Amiga parallel port supplies +5v power which is pin 23 on the A1000 and pin 14 on all other Amiga models.
Yeah, I recall that it was something like that, just didn't know whether the Plipbox provided absolutely no connection to Pin 23. And, whether there was enough commonality to the other pins to just simply use a gender bender from there.

I reckon I'm going to have to quiz the maker of the Plipbox to verify, as the final arbiter. I was just hoping that someone out there had already encountered this scenario so that it would save time and effort.

Edit: Just realized that if the Plipbox is powered from pin 14 then I'm likely going to be out of luck simply using a gender bender. It's beginning to look like I'm going to have to do some rewiring of an existing gender bender...

Edit, revisited: Didn't realize it, but I purchased a Male to Male DB25 adapter. When actually, I needed the opposite (doh). So, just found a Female to Female adapter, that's in a case that's not a solid molded unit (and the wires are accessible). Once I get the necessary wires swapped I should be in business, and able to use non-A1000 parallel port products...

fastrobplus

Posted Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:43 pm

I know this reply is slow, but I have successfully used the plipbox with a custom build gender changer on my gba1000.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:22 am

fastrobplus wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:43 pm
I know this reply is slow, but I have successfully used the plipbox with a custom build gender changer on my gba1000.
Good to know, thanks! I had two F-F adapters, but only one of them I could disassemble (the other was the moulded variety, so no-go with that one for rewiring). I don't know for which product that accessible DB25 adapter was for, but it looks like I'm going to have to completely re-wire it (pin-to-pin wiring was totally bizarre in the routing).

Anyway, this little project is on the To-Do List for now, I'll take it on when I get to the point where I want to enable networking on the A1000. That will have to wait until I get the mediator board and peripherals (including the PCI networking card) working in the A4000 first, then I'll work on networking the A4000 with the A1000.

Kevin Brice
Seattle, WA
YouTube

Posted Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:05 am

You can also get a plipbox wired explicitly for the A1000. I haven't used this specific one yet, but I've ordered the standard wiring version. I believe these also have the reset pin wired so the plipbox doesn't crap out when you reboot the machine.

Plipbox Deluxe

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:38 am

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I had no idea that you could get them wired for the A1000. I'll check out the link, thanks.

Now, to do some digging on networking the A1000... surely it can be done...

Kevin Brice
Seattle, WA
YouTube

Posted Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:48 pm

JoeUser wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:38 am
Awesome, thanks for sharing! I had no idea that you could get them wired for the A1000. I'll check out the link, thanks.
I hadn't either! And to follow up, I just got mine wired for all the other Amigas, and I'm extremely pleased. Nice case, a driver disk, and a few pages of thoughtfully-included documentation about everything you might need to know. It even properly works across reboots, which not all plipboxes do. Definitely recommended.

Return to “Hardware”