iljitsch

Posted Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:34 am

I've decided to open up my A3000 again, and see if I can make some improvements. Trying to decide whether to put OS 3.2 on it, and if so, with ROMs or soft kick the new Kickstart.

And last year I gave up on removing the clock battery, but this time I think that thing needs to go. And I've ordered a replacement board with LEDs because the power LED doesn't work anymore.

But my question: when I did a bunch of upgrades last year (with a new fan the machine was finally usable again), I tried to make the video output over the VGA port nicer using the adjustment thingy, but that was extremely difficult and I think I poked it too hard and broke one or more contacts. The video is now pretty bad, with handfuls of pixels jumping left and right all over the place.

Does anyone have any suggestions on trying to fix this? Should I take out the motherboard and try to resolder the thing? Replace it?

Note that easy soldering work using a multimeter are the limitations of my electronics skills. I would love for the ECS output of the A3000 to be nice and clean again, as that way it may make sense to play games on the 3000 rather than my 1200. But for other stuff I have the Cybergraphx card anyway, so the main thing is I that I don't make things worse or blow up the machine.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:15 pm

IF you're talking about the adjustment pot (potentiometer) on the scan doubler... the only way to adjust that properly is when using an oscilloscope.

See the link below:

https://www.tsb.space/knowledge-base/a3 ... djustment/

Return to “Hardware”