intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:01 am

Oh well dang. It very well might not be the Amiga's fault. You're on the bleeding edge of hardware innovation (and Amiga OS, too).

There appears to be a very active discussion area for the Gotek drive in which the author/maintainer directly sees and responds.

dargrz1977

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:13 am

I noticed that I do not have a second pin on the left from the top on the main board where the tape from the drives is attached. Is it supposed to be like that ?

dalek
Australia

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:18 pm

dargrz1977 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:13 am
I noticed that I do not have a second pin on the left from the top on the main board where the tape from the drives is attached. Is it supposed to be like that ?
That's pin 3 - it is normal for it to be missing.

dargrz1977

Posted Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:14 pm

I checked Kick 1.3 / 3.2 Wokrbench 1.3 / 3.2 step by step. As I mentioned, the Amiga computer hangs after restarting workbench 1.3, because in workbench 3.2 these disks are read with an error (those on which DISKCANGE does not work), it hangs, after restarting there is no amiga crash (yellow background). Yellow background and gurus sometimes pop up when I plug in a new device (e.g. external scsi2sd 5.0e). Additionally, I found out that this only applies to the Gforce 030. In the case of 2091, Amiga won't hang after rebooting. I checked Gforce with redirected memory and it keeps crashing every time. I checked on a short tape and with one terminator disk and it also hangs. In my opinion, Kick 1.3 does not unmount Gforce drives or there is a conflict. The solution, as I said, is to run AMIGA TEST and everything is back to normal.

dargrz1977

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:46 am

I think I found a problem. When I swap the CIA places, I get errors in all DF0, DF1, DF2, DF3 drives in the workbench and no drive starts. Is it sure one or both of the CIAs are damaged ? Thanks

dargrz1977

Posted Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:48 am

It does not work like that. It cannot be checked this way. I used two other chip sets CIA and the 301 chip always matched 300. The 300 did not match the 301 chip, and it reported a drive error. So that's not a CIA problem. This is the GVP from Amiga 2000 as mentioned earlier. I will check with another same card as soon as I get it.

dargrz1977

Posted Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:20 am

In general, the CIA will fix a working or non-working problem, but not in this case. I tested the same on a completely different Amiga 2000 and the problem is exactly the same! Additionally, problem is visible in XCopy programs (There is no floppy disk in the DF2 drive). This applies to floppy drives from years ago, originally dedicated to the Amiga. All the new adapters for Gotek and new adapters with chips work and no problem with Xcopy. I've talked to a lot of other Amiga fan groups about it, and they've been much more dynamic in the team. Here, unfortunately, I have to help myself. A large group of users report the same or similar problem on both A3000 and A2000. A few people did not report this issue, but the majority was a group of people who had new mainboard or completely rebuilt mainboard. The vast majority of users do not see the problem because they do not develop the Amiga in the same way, and others suggest completely different problems, such as viruses etc. Generally the logical components (Logic Chips) seem to be damaged.

dargrz1977

Posted Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:21 am

:boing: <3 :commodore: Okay, guys. I embraced the topic. First, not all outdoor stations from years ago will work on the Amiga 2000 as it has a different driver. Works with the operating system but not with XCopy. You must use new external adapters. Second, the SADDAM virus is to blame. Yes, gentlemen, there are viruses on the Amiga. In Kick/Wb 1.3 he was like a fish in water and above Kick/WB1.3 (for example 3.2) he reported access errors. VirusZ III has solved the problem with the Bootblock / Tracks / Files cleanup. First of all, I would like to ask the users of GOTEK drives for attention, which does not guarantee your safety. The GOTEK software is broken. You need to manually enter "write protection" in the configuration file, otherwise if you plug goteka to 1.3 and load ADF with virus, ADF gets infected very easily. Simple but inconvenient business. Now my amiga 2000 flashes like a rocket. That gives me Combo 030 40mhz 6700 points on Sysinfo and 2200 / second on the hard drive. ROM mapping action and two GVP controllers. I can have 3 different memory cards and 24MB. Happy New Year. Of course, the external SCSI interface on GVP still doesn't work. :boing: <3 :commodore:

Return to “Hardware”