dargrz1977

Posted Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:50 am

Amiga 2000HD

I have a problem with my external drive. I have already checked the original drive and Gotek on several adapters in different settings. Workbench started from the hard drive and I have a problem because when I load a system floppy in Workbench and I can't even remove it from the diskchange option. This is simply visible in the Workbench all the time or when you forget to remove the floppy disk. After restarting my computer my computer freezes and I can't do anything anymore. Turning the computer off and on gives me a GURU followed by a yellow background. After a few resets, CTRL + A + A returns to normal. I don't have this problem when loading a nonsystem floppy disk. Workbench reports a read error. And I can reset my computer normally. Does anyone know what's going on? Does there have to be a special controller with a dedicated external drive for ex. Amiga 1011 3.5-inch External Disk Drive?

Thanks

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:22 pm

If I'm reading your post correctly, assuming you have all of the typical WB libs and whatnot, no - you shouldn't need anything special to just plug in an external floppy disk drive. Should be plug and play.

I think yellow screens often point towards CPU or RAM, but I've no idea why this would be triggered by trying to use the external drive port. Hopefully some hardware gurus can chime in and give some suggestions.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:32 pm

Have you ever checked for battery leakage?

dargrz1977

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:47 am

I can see, however, that there are not too many Amiga 2000HD users in this forum here. I checked with the AMIGA TEST program. And everything is perfect drives and the CIA. I was surprised by the fact that after the reboot, the Amiga returned to normal operation. Now, when I crash the amiga because I forget to remove the disk from the external drive or I work on an external drive emulator like GOTEK. I put the AMIGA TEST floppy disk and after loading the AMIGA 2000HD it returns to the normal reset. Everything flashes. I went ahead and started a Kickstart Swich with Kickstart 3.2 and 1.3 (different bone). Connecting GARRY pin5 and U300 pin 8. I was surprised when the floppy disks that were immediately read under the workbench and crashed my computer after the reset now stopped being read. Reading error is reported. Only when I put in a floppy disk that works with CHANGEDISK does it come back to the previous problem. In my opinion, this is the case with all AMIGA 2000HDs. The GOTEK is not designed for the AMIGI 2000 as an external drive. Any adapter sold for external drives is not working properly. There must be a dedicated outdoor station with controller. I have never been able to run anything from the GOTEK external drive. Even under AmigaOS3.2. The start menu and all this is a reference to DF0: what can be seen from the diode.

dalek
Australia

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:36 am

There are plenty of A2000HD users here.... all are waiting on you to answer McTrinsic's question as this is the first place to look. Likely you have leaky battery acid eating traces or contacts around your CPU and RAM.

dargrz1977

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:00 am

I have it very clean. The acid did not leak outside the battery limits. It was just at the foot of the battery. I cleaned everything down to the last green rust around the battery. I cleaned the vinegar and 91% spirit. I blew everything out and sprayed it with a contact spray. I did not wash it under the sink;). If there were so many, someone would know. I do not have or have the same problem.
Last edited by dargrz1977 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

dargrz1977

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:08 am

This is not a simple problem, but a complex problem - Does not work and when it does not work and when it works. I don't remember if the Amiga 2000HD had it, but it follows that it did. There is no problem with this on the Amiga 500 as you are using the DF0 / DF1 switch, and on the AMIGA 2000HD there is no point in using the switch. In addition, Amiga 500 is designed for one disk, and 2000HD for two internal twisted-pair tape drives like in a PC and two external drives, I do not know what, but probably dedicated only with controller.

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:08 pm

I can only second the remark about the complexity.

Please be aware that the A2000HD is nothing special. It’s an A2000 with a specific Zorro card.

Which revision is the mainboard or did I miss that?

dalek
Australia

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:13 pm

Okay couple of things - lookup up J301 - is it open or closed?

The floppy cable with the twist is not the same twist as used in PCs.

Amiga twists swaps 4 though 6. PC twist swaps 10 through 16.

also see here: http://l8r.net/technical/t-floppydrives.shtml

What do you have each drive set as DS0/DS1 and where abouts are they in relation to the internal cable, twists and external connector?

dargrz1977

Posted Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:37 am

Amiga 2000HD Rev 6. FDD DF0/DF1, GOTEK DF2(DF3), J301 CLOSE, Kick 1.3/3.2 Workbench 1.3.2/3.2. Supra 2000 *8MB. A2091/GForce 030 *8MB Quantum 40S (X2), SCSI2SD 5.0a/5.5

But the 2000HD version has a Hard Drive, and it is with this version that there is definitely a noticeable problematic affliction. Because I do not think that the Amiga 2000 user puts a workbench disk every time he starts his computer to run something. Having disabled the Hard Drive driver, it cannot be noticed because even when we run a floppy disk from another drive, only the loader is started and I have not yet obtained a program running from a drive other than DF0. In my opinion, this is a systemic affliction. Does not unmount disk from drive during reset. AMIGA TEST must perform a complete board reset, including the dismounting of drives before the test, hence a positive effect. I just gave an example and the twisted pair exists and there is a recognizable drive A and drive B. I know it's a different cable. I have tried with different configurations. I have an External Gotek Adapter, External Archi-tech adapter that changes the DF1 / DF2 / DF3 / and DSX / DRIVE / CHANGE. I tried on different settings. Yesterday I came to the conclusion that in the case of Amiga 2000HD with Hard Drive this applies to every drive beyond DF0 that will be installed in the Workbench and the DISKCHANGE function cannot work with it. It just won't unmount properly during the reset and crashes the computer. Running the AMIGA TEST program automatically disconnects all installed drives. Hence the solution to the problem. DISKCHANGE does not work with all floppy disks. Is there any magic way to force in WORKBENCH CLI Commands to disconnect the floppy disk or GOTEK drive (Push button)?
Last edited by dargrz1977 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Hardware”