intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:52 pm

Someone over on Amibay who goes by the moniker Rakeim132 has been designing a see-through top case for the Amiga 1000.

The idea was inspired by this photograph taken at the Amiga 30th Anniversary in California:

a1k-clear-originalPhoto.jpg

Rakeim132 improved upon the original design of the clear top by adding some supports and stiffeners so he could actually put a monitor up there without fear. He modeled a new design in 3D and now has a working prototype.

a1k-clear-3dmodel.jpg
a1k-clear-leftcorner.jpg
a1k-clear-badge.jpg
a1k-clear-side.jpg

Note that this new design is being produced as an acrylic resin "print" and is not injection molded. But all things considered it looks pretty good. I don't personally see any little air bubbles or distortions we sometimes see with this kind of production.

Rakeim132 is based in Australia but said the production was in Europe. While the original goal was to produce only a very small handful for himself and a couple of friends, he's put the idea out there that he might go in for a larger group buy for more if there is interest.

If that sounds like something you'd be into, go log into Amibay and let him know on his original thread.

This isn't something I would normally do, however I have shown my A1K with Rejuvenator at computer shows before. If I were to ever do that again I'd love to have a clear top like this! I also have a clear backplate I got at plexilaser a couple of years ago which would be a nice complement to the setup. Now, if we could get the front plate and bottom cover, we'd be able to give the clear Mac SE a run for its money (which is injection molded, but still). :boing: <3

Seb132
Gold Coast, Australia

Posted Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:54 am

Hi mate,
Thanks for the advertisement on this forum. I’m the person developing this cover.
You’ve summarised it perfectly. 😊
Cheers
Sebastien

Return to “Hardware”