brufnus

Posted Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:23 pm

Heya!

Since the combination of a PiStorm/RPi and a CDTV is probably a quite exotic one, I thought I'd tell a bit about my own experiences with this.

A few weeks ago, I installed the OS on my RPi, removed my 7 MHz 68K CPU from the CDTV and plugged in the PiStorm.

The configuration did present me with a few challenges, but a few site visits and questions later, the very kind and helpful people there had provided me with the answers needed... so in case any of you should decide on this upgrade, here's what should be done in order to make it work:

-J15 (CDTV functions) has to be removed as of this moment. There should be a new CPLD firmware underway, which fully support the CDTV, but until then we need to remove that jumper.
- The main CPLD firmware edition WON'T work with the CDTV; the experimental one is needed.
- The config setting "physical-z2-first" should be used. It may be unnecessary, but I couldn't make mine work without, however.

Now, for the fun part:
- My CPU speed according to SysInfo is higher than the A4000/25 shown.
- I now have 256 MB Z3 Fast RAM on my CDTV (!)
- My SD card hdf files' transfer rates are around 22-23 MB/sec; about 10 times faster than I had with my SCSI adapter.
- I also have hi res graphics with RTG, AHI should soon be available, too, USB port, wi-fi, and bluetooth.
- Kickstart and extended ROM's can be loaded from an image file; thus, a kickstart switch is now merely a matter of editing the config file and then reboot. And there's no need to replace the physical chips anymore.

When the new CPLD firmware (hopefully soon) is available, along with the soon-to-come extended ROM 2.35, all CDTV specific functions should be available once more.

All in all, combined with the very acceptable price for a RPi and a PiStorm, this is definitely an upgrade I can recommend!

stevelord

Posted Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:59 am

Are you able to close the lid? I was tempted a while ago but saw reports that it had to stay open.

brufnus

Posted Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:18 am

I haven't yet tried, since I had a relocator installed as well (long story), but it *looks* as if it might be a problem. However, I've bought a Hakke flexible relocator as well (with cable), that should solve the problem. They installed square pins on the socket part however, so I'll have to replace these before I can use it. In any case, it should be possible to solve that problem somehow; both the PiStorm nor the RPi 3A+ are quite slim.

My own setup will still be rather atypical, however, since I assembled an old, black desktop case for my 40x Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM drive, SCA hard drive and PC floppy drive... I'll probably install the PiStorm there as well, so that I have direct access to USB/SD card and can install a fan on the RPi CPU.

brufnus

Posted Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:29 am

Another option could be to somehow lower the GPIO header or install some sort of "relocator" in between. If they can somehow be separated instead of stacked, that'll solve the problem.

brufnus

Posted Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:02 pm

That subject got my attention, so I digged into it a little further. It turns out there are actually GPIO extenders available so the CDTV lid problem can easily be solved. E.g. adafruit.com has one, and at 3 USD that won't exactly break anyone's budget. c",)

Return to “Hardware”