Signman

Posted Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:25 am

Put this up at Amiga.org
I put the diagroms in today. Boots quick to diagnostic screen first off.
Ran all the tests and don’t see any issues. Decided to put in old 3.1 roms just to be sure and it’s the same old thing except since I have 3.2 OS it boots twice , so 16 minutes , lol.

I don’t think diagroms are any good seeing issues with warpengine. All the ram on it work and obviously cpu is good.
Still a funny thing mouse movement is flaky in workbench but if I go into a diagnostic program like amiga test it runs smooth. If I can get back to workbench it works well again.

So thats it, without another cpu board I can’t run any more tests. May seek out tech guru and have it looked at. Or back on the shelf for a while.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:48 am

Weird. Have you tried using the 3.1 ROMs and then doing a fresh install of 3.1 to see if you have the same problem?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:08 am

I am not the right person to offer advice, only anecdotal experiences. In my case whenever I add large hard drives to old Amigas the bigger they are the slower the bootup process gets (at least that was the case with most period-correct solutions). Crazy smart people these days are starting to write their own drivers to eliminate that issue on some machines.

But in the old Macintosh world, whenever you add a ton of RAM (e.g. lets say than 32MB) you see the bootup process really hang. My understanding is back in the day faulty RAM was a lot more common (actual chips getting hot and cold, etc.) so manufacturers would put RAM checking into the bootup process. And the more RAM you added, the slower the whole thing would get.

Ironic, really, because the more RAM you added also made the machine faster in general when it had plenty of RAM to spare for all of the processes and leaking going on. After the bootup, at least.

Anyway, it sounds like some sort of really slow error checking going on somewhere to me. Or some sort of boot process waiting to happen and eventually failing or being bypassed.

Eight minutes (or 16!) would drive me absolutely nuts! Curious what the answer is if you find it.

dalek
Australia

Posted Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:52 pm

I would try cleaning the CPU slot and Warpengine CPU connector with some electrical contact cleaner or at least isopropyl alcohol. While you are in there do the kickstart rom sockets as well.

As I understand it the issue started when you removed the warpengine and replaced the kickstart roms. Since going back to the old roms the issue persists, the problem is likely with the CPU connector.

Signman

Posted Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:55 pm

Thanks but I already cleaned both with contact cleaner. Also, you would think inserting cpu card and rom like a thirty times would help also.
That said it is odd when this all started. The erratic mouse issue also. Ihave also tried every conceivable jumper setting on warp.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:58 pm

The erratic mouse issue also.
Is there a software solution folks can use to test the health of CIA chips?

I had a CIA chip go bad on my A3000 -presumably from accidentally knocking the mouse connector when the machine was running (or something sad like that) and it took my machine out.

I only bring that up since your mouse input is funky.

dalek
Australia

Posted Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:02 pm

Signman wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:55 pm
Thanks but I already cleaned both with contact cleaner. Also, you would think inserting cpu card and rom like a thirty times would help also.
Bummer - in that case worn connectors are also a possibility :(

Signman

Posted Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:19 pm

Could be connectors but why does cpu accelerator work and ram installed on card register?

Signman

Posted Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:08 pm

I just came here to announce it is mostly solved.
I Took all of the jumpers off the scsi settings on Warp card and now, voila, everything boots fine. No erratic mouse movement either. I know I have done this a few times before but nothing worked. Maybe in conjunciton with another jumper removed (or added) or scsi cable removed completley, I don't know. But there it is.

Does that mean I can't use the scsi connection anymore. I do have a half assed cd rom (scsi) that is now working properly anyways . In the future a ide cd rom maybe?

Thanks all and Merry Christmas.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:02 pm

Congrats!

Return to “Hardware”