fastrobplus

Posted Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:45 pm

This might be a dumb question, but don't all 4000s have an HD floppy drive?

Hook
Ottawa, Canada

Posted Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:33 am

Zippy Zapp wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:12 am
What has been your experience using HD disks? I mean since they are not the same media have you had any issues besides the need to cover the hole on newer Amigas?
I have several hundred DD disks and they seem to work well after I don't know how many decades. The DD-formated HD disks do not seem to last as long. They usually start to fail after a couple of years. Case in point, my 3.1.4 floppies display errors when attempting to use them. I could format/copy the ADFs on them, but I took a simpler approach and got 3.2 instead :lol:
fastrobplus wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:45 pm
This might be a dumb question, but don't all 4000s have an HD floppy drive?
I believe they do... But I didn't know that! Back in the 90s, I had an A1000 and A500 and never saw an A4000 in the flesh... Only in magazines. So when I finally acquired this A4000D a few weeks ago, I was excited to see its condition but bummed out about the floppy drive that refused to read disks. So learning that it was in fact a high density drive was a pleasant surprise!

fastrobplus

Posted Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:21 pm

I've only had a handful of 4000s, but I've actually put 357a drives in many of my other amigas. Not sure if this is useful info, but I can say that most issues I encounter with them trace back to gummed up HD hole sensors.

Return to “Hardware”