Frobozz
USA

Posted Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:53 pm

I got an Indivision AGA Mk3 installed in my old A1200, and confirmed that the native hardware is in good condition. Still need to recap, but nothing's leaked in the 15 or so years since I last cracked open the case, at least.

Next step was getting software running on the thing. When I first pulled the A1200 out of storage and plugged it in, it showed all the right signs: the power light turned on, and the internal floppy started clicking away. However, after taking the machine apart to install the Indivision, I'm not getting any response from either the internal or (non-C=) external floppy drives. No clicking, no activity at all when booting or inserting a disk. I'm hoping I just forgot to plug something in somewhere, but I guess it's possible I'm also cursed and both drives died on me.

Good news sidenote: after going through YouTube tutorials on creating hard drive images in UAE to copy to CF cards, I did manage to get a basic 3.1 card made and plugged into the IDE adapter (plugged into the motherboard) I picked up. Success! With regards to the internal floppy, Workbench displays a generic floppy icon labelled "DF0:????" so the system appears to be aware the drive exists, but I still can't read anything from it.

Feeling lucky after installing the flickerfixer, I figured I'd add the CF adapter (no card yet) and TF1230 card I picked up. The adapter was no problem, but like all trapdoor cards the TF1230 was a bear to install. Success followed after a string of profanity and pinched fingertips. I turned on the A1200 to test that everything was still working, and... got the green screen of doom :( . Now keep in mind the floppy drives aren't working, so I haven't run the TF1230 installer disk yet, and lacking instructions I'm not sure if this might have caused the green flashing screen effect. Looking this up online, it could mean anything from a dead accelerator, to dead chips, bad memory, Mercury in conjunction with Mars, or who knows what else. Again, I may just be cursed. The issue seems to be tied to the TF1230, as the green flashing went away after I unplugged it. Is it possible this is due to missing drivers (presumably that's what's on the installer disk), or maybe I just didn't push the card in far enough?

tl;dr: Would anyone be able to send some troubleshooting tips (or just outright answers) for getting the floppy drives and accelerator card working? Do I need to buy a new drive and actually make use of the warranty on the TF1230?

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:37 am

1. Make sure the floppy drive data cable isn’t plugged in backwards.

2. Clean the A1200’s card edge. 99% isopropanol will do. You can also use a regular pencil eraser. Reseat the card. After seated, pull the card off the edge connector by about 1mm. Before reinserting, also make sure you’ve not bent any of the pins on the card edge connector of the accelerator.

Frobozz
USA

Posted Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:17 am

obitus1990 wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:37 am
1. Make sure the floppy drive data cable isn’t plugged in backwards.
Yep, it's definitely in the right position. I would have to really wrestle with the cable to put it in wrong way around, to be honest.
obitus1990 wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:37 am
2. Clean the A1200’s card edge. [...] After seated, pull the card off the edge connector by about 1mm.
I followed your advice, and managed to get around the green boot screen afterward -- thanks! However, I'm still thinking there's something wrong with the card. This is what I'm seeing on the WB and with ShowConfig:
IMG_3159.JPG
My machine sees the card -- it's registering the '030 -- but it doesn't see the 128MB at all, and there's no noticeable performance boost with it installed. Now, granted, I don't have the TF1230 driver software installed yet (which probably explains the performance issue) since I'm still waiting to hear back from the manufacturer if they can send an ADF (no working floppies), but looking at a couple of YouTube installation/review videos, the system should register the RAM even without the driver installed (right?). I think I may just be stuck with a dud card.

Frobozz
USA

Posted Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:33 am

Well, I'm an idiot -- the TF1230 requires 3.1 ROMS, and I haven't installed mine yet. That would explain the RAM not turning up, and possibly the green screen of doom. Now to go buy a chip-puller...

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:52 pm

For the ROMs, you don’t need a Chip puller. A piece of plastic will work. Work on them from both sides. Just be careful.

Return to “Hardware”