Dasfaust
Burkburnett, TX
YouTube

Posted Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:53 pm

Amiga 1000 taking forever to get to the Kickstart screen

I don't have a KS disk as of yet, but shouldn't the Amiga 1000 get to the screen asking for a kickstart disk a bit sooner than 8 minutes?

Flashes between gray and dark gray, and the red light flickers during the light gray screen.

Dasfaust
Burkburnett, TX
YouTube

Posted Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:56 pm

It has a Spirit Inboard 1000, could that be causing an issue after all these years of being in storage?

Crispy
Sunhillow

Posted Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:41 am

Yes, it should take about 15 seconds from power on to the time it starts reading the Kickstart disk. You might try removing the Inboard, and see if that makes a difference. You could also try reseating all of the socketed chips. As always, make sure that you are working in a static safe environment, and that you are grounded when handling the chips.

If these activities don't yield any joy, then it may be time to go through and recap the motherboard, daughterboard, and power supply.

Dasfaust
Burkburnett, TX
YouTube

Posted Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:27 am

Crispy wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:41 am
Yes, it should take about 15 seconds from power on to the time it starts reading the Kickstart disk. You might try removing the Inboard, and see if that makes a difference. You could also try reseating all of the socketed chips. As always, make sure that you are working in a static safe environment, and that you are grounded when handling the chips.

If these activities don't yield any joy, then it may be time to go through and recap the motherboard, daughterboard, and power supply.
There are some bodge and jumper wires here and there, I didn't install the Spirit Inboard, so I am not completely sure how to uninstall it but I was thinking about it last night and will disassemble it again and see what is what later today.

Crispy
Sunhillow

Posted Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:39 pm

Here's a link to the installation instructions which may be of some help.

http://amiga.resource.cx/manual/Inboard1000.pdf

Dasfaust
Burkburnett, TX
YouTube

Posted Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:05 pm

Crispy wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:39 pm
Here's a link to the installation instructions which may be of some help.

http://amiga.resource.cx/manual/Inboard1000.pdf
Two wires from another board above the main board, shouldn't affect anything, the notch in the processor should be towards the floppy drive like the rest of the chips? I've never done anything to this machine, this is how I received it in 2015, I didn't have a KS for it so I didn't get to use it, and it's been sitting since then.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:25 pm

I didn't have a KS
You will whenever I can get down off my hill covered in snow and ice. It's all boxed up and ready to go!

Dasfaust
Burkburnett, TX
YouTube

Posted Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:12 pm

intric8 wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:25 pm
I didn't have a KS
You will whenever I can get down off my hill covered in snow and ice. It's all boxed up and ready to go!
Not in a hurry, this thing used to boot to KS screen pretty fast, I opened it up to make a video, closed it back up and now this, coincidence I hope.

Dasfaust
Burkburnett, TX
YouTube

Posted Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:44 pm

Get no action when I remove the Inboard 1000, won't be able to remove the processor again without ordering a replacement, decided to hook it up to composite for easier testing with the case open, and this is what it's doing. Could I have caused an issue in the RAM expansion on the front of the system when I took it out to open up for the video?

That was the only thing that I removed other than the shield when making the video for YouTube.

Dasfaust
Burkburnett, TX
YouTube

Posted Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:05 pm

So I removed the RAM expansion from the front of the Amiga 1000, cleaned the contacts, and reinstalled

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlS9abfECS-rht0CsWk ... g?e=HbLXz3

Reading another post about color "codes" from the screen, even though I haven't removed anything else when this issue started, is the Denise specific if I've read the post about "codes" right, and I may need to fiddle with or replace the Denise chip... Will the chip on this board work in a 1000?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlS9abfECS-rht0AmDi ... w?e=gRfdrs

Return to “Hardware”