Hook
Ottawa, Canada

Posted Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:55 pm

My NTSC A1000 has the excellent RGBtoHDMI CPLD hat for Raspberry Pi Zero based on LinuxJedi's work and I've since been enjoying crisp, lag-free display (sorry CRT users!)

I'm getting a Rejuvenator in a week or two and was wondering if the CPLD was safe to use on the Rejuvenator. Technically it should, as the hat connects to the Denise socket, but there is a CSYNC cable that clamps on the U6A chip.

So esteemed brethren, are there any issues here of should I be good to go?
CPLD.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:55 pm

Looking at the height of it, my first question is will it need to be below the Rejuve (between it and the motherboard)? Or are you planning on plugging into the new Densie socket? Are you going to use an ECS Denise or OCS?

I'd be surprised if there were any hardware conflicts at all. I just wonder if it'll all fit?

TommyE

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:06 am

Hello

It works lilke a charm :)
I had my mainboard completly removed when installing the rejuv. and also did a quick mod on the backside of the motherboard so that I dont need the clipwire to the rgb2hdmi board.

TommyE

Hook
Ottawa, Canada

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:01 am

TommyE wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:06 am
Hello

I had my mainboard completly removed when installing the rejuv. and also did a quick mod on the backside of the motherboard so that I dont need the clipwire to the rgb2hdmi board.

TommyE
Interesting. Any clearance issue with the CPLD and Pi? Thinking I could use a GPIO ribbon cable to relocate the Pi.

What mod did you do underneath?

TommyE

Posted Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:13 am

Hook wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:01 am
TommyE wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:06 am
Hello

TommyE
Interesting. Any clearance issue with the CPLD and Pi? Thinking I could use a GPIO ribbon cable to relocate the Pi.

What mod did you do underneath?
No problem with clearance.
- You mount the rejuvenator board to the mainboard.
- You then put the RGB2HDMI onto the rejuvenator board.

But, I have not testet to mount the RF shield back on, haven't testet to see if it would fit either, but I guess not.

The mod. I did on the backside was from U6A Pin8 to U4A (Denise) Pin33, that way I dont need the clipwire.

Works great in my A1000 :)

/TommyE

Hook
Ottawa, Canada

Posted Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:29 am

That's a great idea! Because the Rejuvenator already has a lot of clip wires (especially if using RTC) so that's one less wire in there.

Thanks for the tip, will report back once I get the Rejuv installed and running.

TommyE

Posted Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:09 pm

I haven't used my RTC as I use my A1000 with PiStorm, and Pistorm gets it time thru NTP.

But yes, less of those clip wires is a good thing :)

/TommyE

jdryyz

Posted Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:42 pm

Alright, I have a twist on this story.

My RGB2HDMI wouldn't sync with my display after mating up with the Rejuvenator. Tried different clips, different wires and also soldered the connection. No change.

I then thought I would ask LinuxJedi about it. He had me check to be sure the adapter was was in the socket okay, same with the Denise but then I reminded him I was getting the normal RGB output. He then thought it might be the pi or the system. I swapped it out with the one from my A2K. Same results.

So then he got to thinking about the csync again. Perhaps the Rejuvenator board has its own. Yes, he found that it did. He suggested I simply remove the csync line going to the motherboard IC. Wham! I have a stable picture again. So having two syncs is not desirable. :)

I cannot explain why the other posters here are okay with their motherboard csync wires connected though.

JackTheKnife

Posted Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:54 am

It will be very helpful to post some photos and a description how it was done :)

Thanks!

jdryyz

Posted Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:29 am

There isn't anything to show. I simply did not attach the sync cable.

Return to “Hardware”