kerobaros

Posted Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:06 am

Let's say I have a 2000 (which I do!) and let's say I'd like to hook it up to a more modern monitor. Also, I'd rather buy something new than take my chances in the used market. What are my hardware options nowadays?

What I need:
-support for regular NTSC and PAL resolutions
-flicker fixing
-VGA, DVI or HDMI output

What I want:
-internal attachment, I suppose in the video slot?
-RTG modes (if this is even possible to get from a new product anymore)

I have a PiStorm installed, so I suppose I can use that for RTG, but it would be nice to have both regular and RTG video coming out of the same output.

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:33 am

Try to get a ZZ9000 RTG card.

iljitsch

Posted Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:51 am

Is that really worth the hassle?

Even if you can perfectly flickerfix the A2000's video, it's still a dog slow machine with few good HDD options, and thus, IMO, not really worth the trouble for anything but playing OCS (original graphic set) games.

It's very simple to transform any Amiga's 23-pin video out to a VGA connector. However, the monitor then needs to be able to use NTSC and/or PAL timing. For actual VGA monitors that's not going to happen, but for LCD monitors from about a decade ago that still had VGA in that's actually something quite possible. But it depends a lot on the monitor.

Not sure if the OCS chipset can be reprogrammed for either PAL or NTSC, or if you need ECS for that. Certainly you'll need at least Kickstart 2.0.

kerobaros

Posted Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:34 pm

iljitsch wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:51 am
Is that really worth the hassle?

Even if you can perfectly flickerfix the A2000's video, it's still a dog slow machine with few good HDD options, and thus, IMO, not really worth the trouble for anything but playing OCS (original graphic set) games.

It's very simple to transform any Amiga's 23-pin video out to a VGA connector. However, the monitor then needs to be able to use NTSC and/or PAL timing. For actual VGA monitors that's not going to happen, but for LCD monitors from about a decade ago that still had VGA in that's actually something quite possible. But it depends a lot on the monitor.

Not sure if the OCS chipset can be reprogrammed for either PAL or NTSC, or if you need ECS for that. Certainly you'll need at least Kickstart 2.0.
I have all of these problems solved already, friend. PiStorm gives me a virtual 68040 and plenty of RAM, along with virtual mass storage on the SD card in the Pi, along with a soft Kickstart ROM. Also, my 2000 has been upgraded to ECS a meg of chip RAM. So I should (theoretically) be able to do just about anything that doesn't require AGA modes.

iljitsch

Posted Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:06 am

I that case, you could take some inspiration from a story I wrote about using an LCD monitor with VGA in and an Amiga (a 1200 in this case, but the second half would also apply to ECS and even OCS Amigas): Using a modern monitor with an Amiga 1200 over VGA.

A very good solution to your problem would probably be the Indivision ECS V3. I have the AGA version and it's great: my review.

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:17 am

He stated in the original post:

„What I want:
-internal attachment, I suppose in the video slot?
-RTG modes“

For RTG modes you need a Graphics adapter. Either the ZZ9000 or the Matze Card.

The latter one doesn’t have HDMI / only VGA and needs be coupled with an Indivision ECS, though.

Kevin Brice
Seattle, WA
YouTube

Posted Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:17 pm

Be aware the ZZ9000's video slot adapter does not work with genlock modes (and can't, as it doesn't use CSYNC), and the Denise adapter doesn't work with NTSC interlaced (but could if the firmware bug ever gets fixed).

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:12 am

Good point about the Genlock.

Usually, though, I assume that nowadays no one who returns to the Amiga will ever use a Genlock.

iljitsch

Posted Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:17 pm

I wouldn't mind having one and experimenting a bit... I found a guy offering one a while back but that ad had been up for half a decade and strangely no replies to my inquiry.

Return to “Hardware”