codevark
Sutton, MA USA

Posted Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:56 pm

I turned on my A500 yesterday, #amigaday, to try and get it online using a plipbox. The system worked fine just a couple of weeks ago.

Now the display is scrambled. Using an idek iyama monitor for 15KHz. I don't have another monitor to test it on; what's the most likely cause? It's on a surge strip attached to a good UPS.

Update: I just tried it again, and it seems less scrambled, but it looks like it's lost vertical sync or something. I can see the WB menubar, and the shell window that opens at the bottom of the screen, but there's ragged black and grey strips scrolling constantly down, no text is legible, pointer isn't obvious. So, it's booting OK, but a video issue.. There are no sync adjustments on the monitor.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:42 am

Have you tried the monochrome composite port to see if it outputs correctly on that? Not sure what it could be other than something in the video circuit. It could also be a cable problem or you could try pressing the Auto button on the monitor.

codevark
Sutton, MA USA

Posted Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:33 pm

No "auto" button. I'll try the comp output tonight. I may also have an old LCD or two that can sync down.
Thanks!

codevark
Sutton, MA USA

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:28 am

Update, finally.

Composite output is crystal clear through a tiny Magnavox HDTV. Must be the Idek monitor that was scrambling.
Maybe that same OG at UBreakIFix can trossel it back into working shape?

codevark
Sutton, MA USA

Posted Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:37 pm

Turns out the UBIF store I mentioned has closed indefinitely, and I may have lost the chance to talk to the OG about the monitor situation. Seriously doubt there are many places left that repair CRTs.

Return to “Hardware”