GreyJacket

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:02 am

I have several Amiga 2000's. I have had great success with the SCSI2SD working on the commodore A2091 controller.
I can not get the SCSI2SD to work on a GVP SCSI controller.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:40 pm

Only the usual suspects

- Termination
- Term Power
- ID of the host adapter unusual
- synchronous vs asynchronous transfer

Cheers,
McT

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:45 pm

Oh, one more thing:

Active terminators must be used if SCSI2 mode is enabled. The SCSI2SD board has an integrated active terminator.

Crispy
Sunhillow

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:57 pm

I have two GVP SCSI cards, and neither one of them provides termination power on the SCSI connector. I assume that this is the case with your card, so you will need to power your SCSI2SD with an external power supply instead of relying on power from the SCSI connector.

GreyJacket

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:12 pm

Thanks for the reply's.
the SCSI2SD is kind of a mute point right now, as there are no units available. there is a newer Zulu SCSI SD adapter available that I am thinking about checking out. Then the issue will start all over again. I may have a GVP SCSI controller that is not operating properly. it is an older card IMPACT A2000-HC Rev 4. I just tried two different SCSI drives on the card with erratic results.
And, in the past, I struggled with the SCSI2SD adapter before I found some decent instructional aids. it does not require any power connections.
I was just curious if GVP was handling operations completely differently than Commodore, or maybe there was something that could be done to make it work like the A2091 interface.

the machine is working with an old stock SCSI drive on a different GVP card. I just don't have a great deal of faith in the older drives. I pulled them out of an old compaq raid server and using a ultra-wide to 50 pin adapter. Amiga does not recognize the available 18 gigs of storage, it sees only one gig.

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:36 am

There are updates for the ROM available. Check either here in the forum or on AmiBay.

To see more than 1GB, both filesystem and device driver (in ROM) need to play together. So an update to the GVP rom might be a first step here.

It might also be an issue with older HD-prep software. Together with the new filesystem that’s one of the reasons to get OS 3.2 ;) .

rufreaknnuts

Posted Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:29 am

Have the same problem with a GeForce and a ZuluSCSI. I plugged a usb cable into microusb of the Zulu and powered it and the scsi worked fine after that. So now I'm gonna try and figure what pin the Zulu wants power from and jumper some power to that pin on the card.

Edit: That was too much trouble, I just added a small connector on the power header of the ZuluSCSI and tapped 5V from the motherboard.

jdryyz

Posted Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:42 am

I know this is an old post but I wanted to get clarification on GreyJacket's exact problem with scsi2sd not working on his GVP controller.

I have used scsi2sd v6 on a GVP GeForce '030 in the past and now presently with a GVP GeForce '040. I simply moved the scsi2sd from '030 to '040 without changing anything on the hardware side. I, of course, had to make AmigaOS changes to take advantage of the new processor but the scsi2sd config and attached SD card are the same.

At the time I acquired the '030 (2019), I did not even consider the possibility of the scsi2sd card getting power from the bus. I just connected a Molex-to-BERG power cable. I later became aware of the possibility of bus power with a ZuluSCSI card in use with my A3000. I had to resolve a problem on the PCB first but it *does* receive power from the SCSI cable alone.

So is it a question of the card being powered or a compatibility problem -- i.e. card not recognized or not behaving as expected?

Return to “Hardware”