polbit

Posted Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:29 am

I am looking to build a completely stock A500, with 1Mb Chip and 8372A Fatter Agnus, and would like to attach an HD to it.

Not interested in ACA500+ as I don't want a bare board sticking out of the side. I've seen a couple of different 8Mb Fast + IDE boards, but not sure how good they are - they don't seem to be very popular. Would love to get some feedback from others that have added an HD to their stock A500. Thanks for any suggestions!

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:30 am

The thing with the internal devices is to make the HD-part autoboot-capable. That’s a bit easier on controllers at the expansion port as they can map a rom (containing the driver) into the Amiga memory area.

In such a case, you can create your own ROM either via EPROMs or via flash-based solutions such as the ROMulator.

Nevertheless there are some internal solutions.

I‘d personally recommend this one here:

https://www.amibay.com/threads/8mb-ide- ... de.104783/

I can recommend the seller, great guy. Might ask him for a similar device if anything is sold out.

polbit

Posted Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:10 pm

Thanks, I'll definitely ask him!

polbit

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:53 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:30 am
The thing with the internal devices is to make the HD-part autoboot-capable. That’s a bit easier on controllers at the expansion port as they can map a rom (containing the driver) into the Amiga memory area.

In such a case, you can create your own ROM either via EPROMs or via flash-based solutions such as the ROMulator.

Nevertheless there are some internal solutions.

I‘d personally recommend this one here:

https://www.amibay.com/threads/8mb-ide- ... de.104783/

I can recommend the seller, great guy. Might ask him for a similar device if anything is sold out.
He doesn't make them anymore, but found it on eBay, and it's been perfect for my A500! I now have a loaded A3000 with 3.2.1 and A500 with 1.3. Mostly financed by selling a loaded A1200 which does nothing for me :)

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:35 pm

Glad to hear you have found a solution that makes you happy!

Looking forward to a game review here, then 😆.

polbit

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:04 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:35 pm
Glad to hear you have found a solution that makes you happy!

Looking forward to a game review here, then 😆.
Funnily enough, using the A500 as a demo coding machine :) Just like the old times...

Return to “Hardware”