polbit

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:52 pm

As of today, what is my best option for an RTG card for an NTSC Amiga 3000? Is ZZ9000 feasible, or still plagued with issues for NTSC? If I borrow against my house, should I just get a Picasso IV? Any other ones? Just looking for options... Thanks!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:43 pm

or still plagued with issues for NTSC?
If you aren't going to put a video toaster in your A3000, as far as I'm concerned the ZZ9000 is a superb brand new RTG card option that provides insanely good HDMI output. If you have a monitor that supports one of the native ZZ screen modes, it's hard to express (or even show) how clean and sharp of a screen it can provide.

I've not tried the RGB2HDMI/rPi options, personally.

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:39 pm

Depending on what you want to do with it, this here is a modern re-design of the Picasso II+.

VGA only, though featuring an internal switch to connect an Indivision ECS.

https://webstore.kryoflux.com/catalog/p ... anguage=de

… crap, I just realized it’s sold out. It’s available at usual second-hand sites, though.

polbit

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:00 pm

intric8 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:43 pm
or still plagued with issues for NTSC?
If you aren't going to put a video toaster in your A3000, as far as I'm concerned the ZZ9000 is a superb brand new RTG card option that provides insanely good HDMI output. If you have a monitor that supports one of the native ZZ screen modes, it's hard to express (or even show) how clean and sharp of a screen it can provide.

I've not tried the RGB2HDMI/rPi options, personally.
I have Indivision MK3 in my A3000, but I have used RGB2HDMI in my A500, and can say, it's about perfect picture-quality wise. I really want a hi-res RTG pixel-perfect screen on my Amiga, which is why I was asking about the ZZ9000. Ended up ordering it for Sep/Oct production. Really hope it works well!

polbit

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:02 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:39 pm
Depending on what you want to do with it, this here is a modern re-design of the Picasso II+.

VGA only, though featuring an internal switch to connect an Indivision ECS.

https://webstore.kryoflux.com/catalog/p ... anguage=de

… crap, I just realized it’s sold out. It’s available at usual second-hand sites, though.
I think I have been spoiled by HDMI solutions, so will be trying the ZZ9000.

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:01 pm

Just as a reminder.

You can’t just „order“ the ZZ9000.
When ordered, you get onto a list of cards to be manufactured.

Once only when enough cards are ordered, the production will start.

Takes a long time, easily more than 6 months.

Totally worth it, though 😆🫶

polbit

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:22 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:01 pm
Just as a reminder.

You can’t just „order“ the ZZ9000.
When ordered, you get onto a list of cards to be manufactured.

Once only when enough cards are ordered, the production will start.

Takes a long time, easily more than 6 months.

Totally worth it, though 😆🫶
Well, I'm going by what the website says, which is "The item is not in stock, but in production. If you pre-order now, you have to expect shipment in Sept/Oct 2022"

Let's hope it's close to that!

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:59 am

I’ll translate that. ;)

The numbers of orders is big enough that the guy behind the ZZ9000 has ordered a full batch from the production site.

You are lucky with regards to that.

I wouldn’t count on October. With the current world situation you might look for Christmas.

polbit

Posted Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:30 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:59 am
I’ll translate that. ;)

The numbers of orders is big enough that the guy behind the ZZ9000 has ordered a full batch from the production site.

I wouldn’t count on October. With the current world situation you might look for Christmas.
Oh well, all good things come to those who wait :)

polbit

Posted Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:07 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:59 am
I’ll translate that. ;)

To add to my post, just got my hands on a Picasso IV, to hold me over :) Time to sell some Ataris to replenish my retro computer budget...

Return to “Hardware”