SimonGK
United Kingdom

Posted Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:22 pm

In September 2019, I watched a RetroManCave video regarding the Amiga 500++ project. This inspired me to order the purple PCB from Rob Taylor and I managed to successfully assemble it. I have also seen RMC's video on the Checkmate A1500 Plus case, but was discouraged by the (understandably long) waiting list.
My first idea was to adapt an ATX PC tower case for the A500++ board, but then realized I could create a custom case. Since 2016, I have worked as a welder/fabricator and I am experienced in metal work. Most importantly, my workplace has a CNC laser cutter. The case was designed by a workmate who referred to my sketches and measurements. This service was very expensive, so I designed subsequent cases myself.
In order to practice, I designed two prototype big box cases for A600 and A1200.
After seeing me tinker with Amigas, my son became interested in the Amiga ecosystem and chose the A600 due to the smallest footprint. I designed a compact case significantly smaller than the original prototype.
After successful assembly of the A500++, I decided to try an A2000. I ordered a blank PCB (by Floppie209) from Rob again and built that. I acquired an original case in poor condition with the intention of designing my own. This was a big step for me due to the challenge of aligning the rear Zorro openings with where the slots would actually be. I am pleased to say the finished prototype came out very well. On the rear is a mounting position for an ATX power supply. I have also created a bracket that holds either Ian Stedman's power adapter PCB or my board that is simpler and provides -5 volts and TICK signal. The power adapter's PCB is my design and the code for the IC is written by my friend Jacek Grzebyta.
Towards the end of 2020, I wished to become an owner of an A4000. I am handy with a soldering iron and can solder SMT parts, but a dense project like the Amiga 4000 was beyond my ability.
As a result, I ordered a pre-assembled board. However, I was missing a case (again)!
I was unable to obtain an old case for a reasonable price, so I designed my own, based on pictures this time. In previous projects, I measured boards manually using a caliper, but at some point, I discovered that I could extract measurements from Gerber files, if available. I pulled hole spacings from the gerbers, but to make sure, I acquired a blank PCB for fitting purposes in order to avoid using a precious working board. This time, there was a new obstacle of accounting for the horizontal daughterboard. I had to find precise measurements for vertical daughterboard position and horizontal Zorro card placements.

There are not many case replacement options available especially for the big box Amigas. I make these cases as a hobby and only for individual orders. They are not mass-produced so pricing is steep. My cases have a minimal and industrial appearance but are very sturdy. Some people like them but others are less enthusiastic.

Recently, I decided to make an A3000 case after encouragement from a fan of my previous works. As much as I'm a fan of the 3000 and it's design, it is beyond my budget. I was donated a broken board from John Hertell for fitting and measurements, as well as using the gerbers as a source. I managed to acquire a reproduction of the daughterboard from Francis Bernier and dimensions of the Firebird from Hese. My case is fully compatible with the AA3000+ project, original A3000, and the original daughterboard or the Firebird can be installed and secured using 3D printed clips. This case is currently my most advanced. It is designed to accept a modern SFX PSU and has accent lighting mounting above the front ventilation for fans of LED lighting. There is a mounting bracket for the previously mentioned power adapter, as -5 volts and the TICK signal are needed. I have also created a bracket in which you can mount an SCSI2SD board in the rear, as well as additional fan locations for improved airflow.

It brings me great pleasure to tinker with Amiga hardware and I hope my work extends the life of at least a few systems.

The text above is written by me and published in Amiga Addict issue 10. I was given permission by Jonah Naylor to republish it. I would like to request that you support the people at Amiga Addict or buy one of their magazines.

I am very interested in acquiring an Amiga 1000 model for a reasonable price. I will consider any condition. I am UK based.

Signman

Posted Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:29 pm

Boy, you really went all in on this. Very cool.

austin90

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:42 pm

This is incredible! nicely done!

Olem
Norway

Posted Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:28 pm

Excellent post, Simon, interesting to see how your work has evolved! Really like the fun designs on the 4k and 3K cases. Have you thought about combining your metalwork with 3D printed parts to create designs the way the old big boxes were made, with plastic fronts? I bet you could make something cool that way. Or just keep it totally metal, like you do. Great stuff! Cheers

SimonGK
United Kingdom

Posted Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:25 am

Olem wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:28 pm
Excellent post, Simon, interesting to see how your work has evolved! Really like the fun designs on the 4k and 3K cases. Have you thought about combining your metalwork with 3D printed parts to create designs the way the old big boxes were made, with plastic fronts? I bet you could make something cool that way. Or just keep it totally metal, like you do. Great stuff! Cheers
I already started to use some 3d printed elements as you maybe noticed on some pictures. 3d printed front fascia it is not good idea in my opinion. First it way too big for printing on home 3d printer and process of printing too long. Also finish is not very presentable without additional effort like sanding and painting.
Here is my 3d printed case for Meanwell psu: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5242837
Kind regards

Seb132
Gold Coast, Australia

Posted Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:15 am

I am the happy owner of A4k and AA3k+ cases from Simon.
They are exceptional!
We're now working on a A2k version, and, must I say, I'd love to see an A1k version too! 8-) :mrgreen:

Return to “Hardware”